I need a new camera.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
I'm looking to get a new camera. I bought my current camera, a Kodak Z710 (Amazon: Kodak z710) in June of 2007 and have taken 23,521 pictures with it so far. :omg: It's a great camera and I didn't have any issues with it until lately (last couple months). It's starting to fizz out on me slowly. Sometimes the focus gets stuck, I'll press the shutter button halfway down and then let up and it won't release the focus. And it has other issues too that seem to be mostly software/firmware related but I don't know of a way to update it. It also doesn't have very good video resolution (640x480 at the highest).

So I'm looking to get a new camera. I'm not sure when exactly I will be getting it though. I was thinking I might get it around Christmas and use my bonus (small as it may be) to pay for part/most of it. I don't want to spend more then $250 but I can go a bit above that if I need to.

Requirements I have for my camera:
A viewfinder.
At least 10x zoom
Takes AA batteries
Larger frame with something to actually hold on to.
Takes SDHC cards and can take advantage of higher class cards for quick shooting.
Good low-light capabilities.
HD video would be nice, good sound quality too.
Must NOT have a touchscreen.
There are some other things I want but I can't remember them right now, if I think of them I'll post them.

I like having a lot of manual controls, far in the future I might get a D-SLR but I can't afford one right now and don't want the hassle of different lenses but having a lot of controls would help me learn the basics better. I thought about getting a "Micro 4/3" camera but all the ones I could find were too expensive.

Cameras I have found so far
Fujifilm FinePix HS25EXR hikaricloud mentioned this camera in another "new camera" thread and I have been looking at it. It looks really nice and has a lot of manual controls. And it has manual zoom so it would save my battery life a lot.

Pentax X-5

Kodak EasyShare Z990

Canon PowerShot SX40

I haven't really looked too much. The FujiFilm looks really nice and the price is good too and reviews I saw on B & H and Amazon looked good.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

That one I mentioned before is going to be your best bet for sure. Best camera in the price range, meets all your needs.

EDIT: The Canon would be a close second I think, ISO sensitivity is a little low though. Also the non AA thing.

Last edited:
According to the dimensions it is, and is also heavier that a T4i...but that's probably comparing to the body size/weight of a DSLR as opposed to along with a lens.

I saw your edit and looked at the Canon. That is pretty low! Although my current one only goes to 400. :p

And I do like the manual zoom on the Fujifilm. Will save battery life and help train me to use manual zoom in the future.

And it's $40 cheaper too. :)

Another question, if I get the Fujifilm what speed/class card would you recommend? I'm not sure how much I would be recording HD video but I don't want their to be any hiccups when doing that or taking lots of pictures really fast.

According to the dimensions it is, and is also heavier that a T4i...but that's probably comparing to the body size/weight of a DSLR as opposed to along with a lens.

Ok cool thanks. I like bigger cameras but I'll have to adjust to the weight being a lot more. :)

I'll probably keep my other one as a back-up or one to just throw in the car or something.

Another question, if I get the Fujifilm what speed/class card would you recommend? I'm not sure how much I would be recording HD video but I don't want their to be any hiccups when doing that or taking lots of pictures really fast.

Class 6 would be okay, but I would say at least Class 10. You won't need UHS or anything stupid like that. Honestly, I would just stick with Class 10, there's sometimes not even a price difference without specials:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 32GB Micro SDHC Flash Card w/ SD Adapter Model FF-TSDG32GA-Class 6

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 32GB Micro SDHC Flash Card w/ SD Adapter Model FF-TSDG32GA-Class 10

I prefer them to be SLR sized personally, and the depth listed must be with the lens completely extended, that's the only way it would make sense. Also about the weight, a regular-sized DSLR would weigh about the same with a lens attached, so it's not too different.

Class 6 would be okay, but I would say at least Class 10. You won't need UHS or anything stupid like that. Honestly, I would just stick with Class 10, there's sometimes not even a price difference without specials:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 32GB Micro SDHC Flash Card w/ SD Adapter Model FF-TSDG32GA-Class 6

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 32GB Micro SDHC Flash Card w/ SD Adapter Model FF-TSDG32GA-Class 10

I prefer them to be SLR sized personally, and the depth listed must be with the lens completely extended, that's the only way it would make sense. Also about the weight, a regular-sized DSLR would weigh about the same with a lens attached, so it's not too different.

Is there any reason you linked micro-SD cards instead of full size ones? Do you prefer using them over SD?

Also do you prefer G.Skill over Sandisk for a reason? I usually use SanDisk cards because they have been good for me.

Amazon.com - SanDisk-microSDHC-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQUA-032G-U46A . It's 32 GB, Class 10 (also UHS-1 but you said that's not needed, but it can't hurt to have it right?), only $24.

As far as the weight I meant it being a lot more then my current camera. :)

Back
Top Bottom