I know nothing about computers.

Abba Zaba

Beta member
It's time I get a new computer and I need some help. I would like to be able to play Civilization V on this thing and not have smoke come out the back. These are the recommended requirements:

- Operating System: Windows Vista SP2/ Windows 7
- Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
- DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
- Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
- Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatibile sound card
- DirectX: DirectX version 11

Could any one point me in the direction of a good computer that I wouldn't have to do a whole lot of work on? Any help would be appreciated.

It really wouldn't. On the rig in my sig I get lag in it, especially between turns, because it has to process every unit, every city and every AI turn. A quad core processor really does help. I can play on mid - high settings, so offering a 5450, not just processor wise, but graphics wise he would probably be having a hard time.

What is your budget for the build, and would be willing to build it yourself?

To be honest I would like for this to be as simple as possible. My laptop is about four years old and it's really time I get something new. The price for the computer in the link sounds wonderful but I would be willing to spend a bit more. What exactly is wrong with the computer in the link; would I need to upgrade the graphics card to make it work better? ...Honestly, I'm not even sure what that means; I really know nothing about computers. It's a damn shame it takes so much power to run a strategy game.

is it a GAMING computer that you want. those can be a bit expensive. or is it just for some small strategy games like command and conquer?
what exacly are you gonna use it for.

edit

oh... i it is Civilization V. my bad for not reading properly.

get an core i5 processor. i will recommended getting a core i5 700 series.

but the only NON WORK-PC with that processor on that site i could find was this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227288
it is WAY better then the other one. also better graphic card. but still, i dont know if it is too much of a prise. i am from danmark so i dont use USD i use DKK.

remember that an core i5 600 series is a dual core with hyperthrading. witch gives it extra multitasking performance, but still nothing compare to having 2 extra cores. (700 series)

It really wouldn't. On the rig in my sig I get lag in it, especially between turns, because it has to process every unit, every city and every AI turn.

Really? I wasn't aware of how much resources Civ 5 would take... interesting.

is it a GAMING computer that you want. those can be a bit expensive. or is it just for some small strategy games like command and conquer?
what exacly are you gonna use it for.

edit

oh... i it is Civilization V. my bad for not reading properly.

get an core i5 processor. i will recommended getting a core i5 700 series.

but the only NON WORK-PC with that processor on that site i could find was this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227288
it is WAY better then the other one. also better graphic card. but still, i dont know if it is too much of a prise. i am from danmark so i dont use USD i use DKK.

remember that an core i5 600 series is a dual core with hyperthrading. witch gives it extra multitasking performance, but still nothing compare to having 2 extra cores. (700 series)

i3's have hyperthreading, they don't have turboboost though, which the i5's do

You will get the best performance from building it yourself, you can get a better system than Echo posted, but for at least $50 less, and with that you get higher quality, more power and better warranties. If you don't feel confident though, the system Echo posted would do well enough

What ever computer I get it would be used for internet, documents and Civ 5. Aastii I would love to build a computer myself, but with my technical expertise I would probably end up with a small explosive instead of a computer. ( That statement could be taken the wrong way huh?) I honestly wouldn't know how to build it myself; I wouldn't know where to begin.

The computers posted wouldn't run the game smoothly? At mid settings does the game look okay or is it a huge dip in graphic quality?

Also are these pre-built computers reliable?

i3's have hyperthreading, they don't have turboboost though, which the i5's do

You will get the best performance from building it yourself, you can get a better system than Echo posted, but for at least $50 less, and with that you get higher quality, more power and better warranties. If you don't feel confident though, the system Echo posted would do well enough

he wanted it simple right. so he is not gonna build it him self.
it it cheeper to build, but he will properly damage something, and dont know where things are placed.

about core i3: it is only a processor you should buy if you dont play any games.
with a core i3 on the h55 chipset gives you integrated graphic and you can safe money on not buying a graphic card.

however he IS playing some games. go for core i5 700 series. no need for core i7 in his case. maybe a core i5 600 is good anoth, but i will HIGHLY recommend the 700 as explaned in my above post.

again i am from danmark, and there is price defference from DK to USA(not just valuta, but things are more expensive here) so i wont find a system that i'll recommend. i dont have time to get into USA prices.

What ever computer I get it would be used for internet, documents and Civ 5. Aastii I would love to build a computer myself, but with my technical expertise I would probably end up with a small explosive instead of a computer. ( That statement could be taken the wrong way huh?) I honestly wouldn't know how to build it myself; I wouldn't know where to begin.

The computers posted wouldn't run the game smoothly? At mid settings does the game look okay or is it a huge dip in graphic quality?

Also are these pre-built computers reliable?

i know that the system I posted will run it just fine. but i dont know if you can get it at better prise (I am not from America) but on THAT homepage i will buy that one.
because i dont want an i5 600 as explaned.

a pre build system should be reliable. if it was not the company whould have some troble replacing it and repairing it from angry customers.
you have a garanti of 2 years. (at least in danmark you have 2 years)

I'm sorry, I know I'm a complete moron, but what is the ease of use on this thing? It does work like a regular computer right? I can use Microsoft word and all that on it? Will it come with virus protection software...stuff?

Honestly, I'm not trying to troll or anything. I read some of the reviews on it and I feel that I might be getting in over my head...

Back
Top Bottom