I know a lot of you won't want to help me

I like that idea of a long usb extension cable. If I would get a long enough one and then do I put the wirelss usb adapter on the end and load the software it comes with. Would this work?

Oh you mean the cradle? I would look into the D-Link USB wireless adapters. That's the one I have. It comes with a USB cradle that extends the length of the cable so you don't have to reach all the way in the back of the PC. But always install the softare first before hooking up the USB cable.

hobo said:
I don't want to sound like a computer idiot here but I am. The link you sent me what am I looking at. I see that it plugs into my usb port. But what does it do and the antenna I was talking about how does that plug into there. thanks
The consensus here is that what you propose is illegal, you're new here, let me warn you that CF has a force of of dedicated mods, & if we determine that your post is in any way illegal, your account will be closed, think very carefully before you say more, or you might want to withdraw now, I'll look back later to see if the guys can find a way around your problem, otherwise you're gone my friend,

How about it?, is he worth helping??

Atomic Rooster said:
So you're asking for help on stealing someone else's wireless signal. Nice. :rolleyes:

Not if you ask. Just go and ask your neighbor if he has a wireless network and you can use it for the time being. I'm sure some people would understand. But don't go leeching off someone's wireless network without asking. It's stealing and it's just not nice. ;) I wish you luck. I would donate money, but I'm broke myself. :(

I don't think it's that bad of an issue. I mean if people are worried about someone "tapping" into their bandwidth, they should setup encryption or take other security measures with their routers. It reminds me of Windows Vista capability. They apparently have improved on the networking side of things which makes it easy to detect so-called "hot spots", if you know what I mean.

Well it's not THAT big of an issue, but it's still not nice. Letting someone leech off the internet you pay for isn't that great. Of course, it does serve them right if they don't encrypt or lock up their network though.

a few things to consider...

1, the external USB adapter is a good idea, and you can extend this to a reasonable distance at least.
2, max cable length -per specs, is 5meters after that signal data is degraded.
3, stealing is wrong.
4, it's not stealing if you politly explain to your neighbours what you want to do, and offer them something...
go out and buy a pack of cookie dough, make them some cookies, then it's not stealing, you'll probably have their kind permission.

So what some of you are saying is that it's ok to rip off someone who either is not very smart or doesn't know the ins and outs of setting up a wireless network? Pathetic.

I already said, just go ask the neighbor and explain the situation. Some should understand. Or you can offer them something like a fruit basket. :p

since we're discussing the legality of this, i have another angle to consider. can the neighbor even legally give consent to share his connection with a neighbor? wouldn't that be stealing from the internet provider? if the neighbor called the internet provider, and told them he wanted to share his internet connection with his neighbor because his neighbor is going to give him, say $15 a month to use it, do you think the internet provider is going to say...ok, that sounds good,,,,,or is the provider going to say the neighbor is going to have to pay for his own service...i bet i know what the answer would be...

Back
Top Bottom