I just made my own hardcore UPS

DJ-CHRIS1

Golden Master
So i had some battery packs around that were used to backup neighboorhood phone lines, and I had a UPS with dead batteries. So with rewiring and UPS tweaking it I now have a working UPS.

This should be able to power my computer at full load for at least 12 hours :D The battery is about 10-12X bigger than the old one.

upswx0.jpg

But it's only going to charge the batteries at the rate set for the old battery. Which may just rub on a surface charge but not deep charge them. Or you may be over loading the charger which could lead to a short life span or worse, a fire.
The batteries even though gel cell do give off some charging gases. that many together could be a tad bit dangerous.

setishock said:
But it's only going to charge the batteries at the rate set for the old battery. Which may just rub on a surface charge but not deep charge them. Or you may be over loading the charger which could lead to a short life span or worse, a fire.
The batteries even though gel cell do give off some charging gases. that many together could be a tad bit dangerous.

Talking to an expert apparently I should be able to charge these batterys in 72 to 96 hours on that UPS, and it's safe. And if they don't fully charge i'll just use another deep charger.

That made me think...

Maybe I could use a car battery and plug the +110V on a polar plug and the Ground on the other and safe it off. That could be a sort of UPS backup, but that would be ouchy if you get zapped.

Forrecharging the thing, a car charger for car battery. Seems a fair thing to do.

As far for your UPS, it will charge, but it will take longer.

boardordi3 said:
dude, im afraid to jump start a car, let alone this.... lmao

I thought I was the only one...My friend wanted me to push the ground wire, ontop the of the battery, when we were installing his sub, I was so scared lol.. :D :(

john123 said:
um, why not just take a car battery, and take one of those car power inverters, theres a ups rite there.

Yeah basicly, minus some better power filtering and power efficency stuff on a UPS. + the battery would overcharge if you constantly charged it.

Back
Top Bottom