I have to buy a dell, but need advice on which add-ons are worth the price

The speed difference wireless N will make is not based on your ISP but your internal LAN. The wireless radio technology for N is better than G, so you will get a better radio stream from your router. The speed is not overkill, if you are going to be using it for high bandwidth applications. If you plan to check your e-mail and browse a few web pages then you should be fine without it. If you plan to use the wireless for heavy streaming, gaming, etc. then I would recommend getting N sense it is the latest wireless technology avalible. I have it in my laptop, but I don't have a wireless N router yet. You may want to check and see if the place you will be using your laptop has wireless N technology first, or if they plan to upgrade to it within the future time you will be there.

The speed difference wireless N will make is not based on your ISP but your internal LAN. The wireless radio technology for N is better than G, so you will get a better radio stream from your router. The speed is not overkill, if you are going to be using it for high bandwidth applications. If you plan to check your e-mail and browse a few web pages then you should be fine without it. If you plan to use the wireless for heavy streaming, gaming, etc. then I would recommend getting N sense it is the latest wireless technology avalible. I have it in my laptop, but I don't have a wireless N router yet. You may want to check and see if the place you will be using your laptop has wireless N technology first, or if they plan to upgrade to it within the future time you will be there.

thanks, I've wondered about that for a while...

Excellent replies SPEEDemon.

If your going to be using it all day and not doing stuff like gaming on it. I would go with the 5400rpm hdd. It will be easier on battery life if you don't need the extra performance anyway.

The performence gain will offset the shorter battery life. You really won't be loosing anything by going with the 7200 RPM hard drive.

As far as RAM and getting it to 4GB, I looked at crucial.com, put in the notebook specifications, and I can get a 2GB stick from them for $50 to put in the other DIMM slot. This would save ~$90 all together as opposed to going with the $170 upgrade from Dell, is there any reason not to do this?

There is no reason to buy the extra 2GB through dell, execpt that they will not support the RAM if it fails. If it gives you any problems with the computer, and you need dell to do warranty work (which this situation is highly unlikely) then you just don't mention that you added the extra 2GB and take it out before you send it to them. :)

Ok cool, I will just upgrade trough crucial.com, is that the best place for RAM. I know my stepbrother used them when building my desktop because they were good then.

Before you buy two more gigs to make a total of 4, you need to be running a 64-bit OS (such as Windows Vista (any flavor)64-bit). Otherwise, your system will only use 3GB of RAM, and I have heard that having more than 3GB in a system that does not support the full 4GB may cause problems.

Before you buy two more gigs to make a total of 4, you need to be running a 64-bit OS (such as Windows Vista (any flavor)64-bit). Otherwise, your system will only use 3GB of RAM, and I have heard that having more than 3GB in a system that does not support the full 4GB may cause problems.

We have to use this on our system: Genuine Windows Vista® Business Service Pack 1, With media.

Also, can I just get RAM off newegg?

Back
Top Bottom