I have no idea what I'm doing...

theHomelessJedi

Solid State Member
My last post was in 2014. Wow. Had no idea it was that long ago.
Anyway... I am looking for some instruction. I put the work on my Master's degree on hold two years ago due to money, and burnout. I have been working for a local hospital in my area, in a call center for appointment scheduling for two years now. I want out. I have let myself grow stagnant and get used to making just enough to get by, all the while being content with just going home and vegging until bedtime. Not the kind of person I want to be. So I started researching what my interests were and it always came back to interest in Information Technology/Systems, or Information Security.
So I know where I am interested in ending up, but I have no idea how to get there. I have been studying for the A+ Certification Exams and in another month or so, I feel like I could pass them both fairly easily. I have been applying to entry level positions everywhere I can find within a considerable distance from my home, with no avail. I just don't know what other steps to take other than getting certified.
I recently just came out of a little slump in my self-confidence due to having so many rejections for job applications. I swear I must have filled out and sent over 150-200 applications in the past year and a half. I'm starting to get pretty desperate, as every lead I follow seems like dead-end.

What advice can the awesome members here offer??
Anything, would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

If you put out that many applications and didn't get a response back, have you maybe looked into having somebody professionally looking over your resume to make sure it looks alright? That, or the area you're in, entry-level positions could just be over-saturated making it more difficult to get in. Hopefully the certs would help with getting your foot in the door.

Have you reached out to any Staffing agencies? I had to get my start through there for my last two jobs before this one. With your credentials, it shouldn't be hard for them to find a place for you, and if a company relies on them to send them workers, all you have to do is show up, you've more or less bypassed the initial process to get in. All that's left is to be exemplary and hope temp turns permanent.

Last edited:
If you put out that many applications and didn't get a response back, have you maybe looked into having somebody professionally looking over your resume to make sure it looks alright? That, or the area you're in, entry-level positions could just be over-saturated making it more difficult to get in. Hopefully the certs would help with getting your foot in the door.

I've had other friends and acquaintances with it the IT industry look it over and say it looks fine, minus having the certs. Maybe I should ask someone not in IT.

Have you reached out to any Staffing agencies? I had to get my start through there for my last two jobs before this one. With your credentials, it shouldn't be hard for them to find a place for you, and if a company relies on them to send them workers, all you have to do is show up, you've more or less bypassed the initial process to get in. All that's left is to be exemplary and hope temp turns permanent.

I have reached out to a few before. Unfortunately the few reputable ones in Central Arkansas only really deal with getting people into positions for part time labor with construction, or doing what I currently do, except on a part time basis.... with no benefits.

Back
Top Bottom