I have a question...

Der-PC-Mann

In Runtime
I'm a little confused about something, and was hoping someone here had an answer. I've seen a benchmark for MSI Twin Frozr II 560Ti OC at a max of 357w usage on full load, yet I notice that it can only thoeretically draw 275w from the computer, based on the 75w PCI-E slot, and 150w for the two 6-pin connectors. How is this possible? Is Hexus (site that did the benchmark) wrong, or am I missing something?

EDIT:

It's possible that particular benchmark was done in an overclocked setting, which I assume would use more watts, but confuses me, is how this is even possible, with the power cables/motherboard only giving 225w. >.< I feel so blonde; I should know something like this, by now!

does seem a little strange but when it is overclocked, is it not using more wattage than what it is rated for? I think that the specs say one thing but are actually tested and can go beyond what it says, thats just in my opinion

Yeah, what you said makes sense, and I can understand more power being drawn with an OC, but if the cables can only draw a set amount of wattage, then how would it use more power for the OC? :| A thought has crossed my mind: maybe the PCI-E slot is the one that gets pushed for more wattage? Although surely the slot would get damaged with that sort of increased wattage? I confess that electricity isn't my forté, when it comes to computer hardware.

1 watt (capitalised W) is defined as 1 J/s. I think you are mixing up power with energy. You have no data on the discrepancy of the benchmark and the resistance involved.

The amount pulled from the PS actually depends on the power supply. A 750 watt PS with 4 rails will not be able to push as many amps per rail as one with a 2 rail setup.

Back
Top Bottom