I have a question about jobs in Programming.

Bluehotdog5

Baseband Member
I basically need advice about whatever career I get into, and I didn't really know what forum to go to. Anyway, I was talking to my friend about the various jobs with computers, like web design, graphical design, and programming. He said that there's a lot of people who want to do graphical design and web design, and not enough people who want to the legwork (programming).

Programming in general fascinates me, but I want to know what exactly I would be doing if I became one? I know there are programming jobs in software development, but are there really that many pieces of software being constantly developed?

Are there programming jobs that involve working in a cubicle? What about working Freelance? What kind of businesses need programmers, and what for? I'm basically at a point where I need to choose my career quickly.

I've also looked into various medical jobs. What appeals to me there is the fact that it's always in need, which guarantee's stability. Is programming a stable job that's always in need?

Thanks.

All big companies will have programmers. Apple, Microsoft, Wal Mart, UPS, DHL, CNN, Logitech, HP, Dell.. and the list goes on.

Think of pretty much ANY company that is of a moderate size and they will either have inhouse programmers or they will hire development firms to do the work for them.

They do everything. A programmer for Microsoft will develop software such as Windows OS. But you won't be getting a job their unless you're world class.

A programmer for a non tech company such as Wal Mart will be developing and supporting in-house software. And trust me, any company of that size will have a lot of bespoke custom software they use. Everything from software for their customer support system, to software employees use in day to day jobs.

There are a lot of jobs out there, and the pay and difficult vary vastly. Senior programmers working on huge projects like Windows 8 or Call of Duty will be earning high six figure salaries with seven figure performance bonuses. Programmers doing much more mundane tasks will still earn a respectable, if not huge income.

But make no mistake, to become a great programmer you have to a very logical thinker, an exceptional problem solver. And if you're going to be programming 3D graphics or physics engines, you need to be very good at math too.

It mostly depends on where you get a job at. You'll most likely start out with in-house development. And then if you get better and move up in the rankings, you'll start on public applications (if that's what the company you work for does).

Like Kman said, you need to e a logical thinker to work around problems in terms of code / best way of approaching a problem.

There's more than just retail companies and such. There's also government jobs, military, freelance (web design is more applicable to this area, as it doesn't require as much of a need for a project team such as a full application), medical, retail, etc.

There's also different times of programming other than desktop applications (i.e. what you use with a GUI / within an OS), such as embedded systems, and other things more close to hardware.

It all depends on what interests you, really.

I'm about to graduate with a BS in CS, so I'm looking into jobs as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom