I hate Windows partitions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Sooo this is my rant about how i hate the partition system. Heres the old layout my HDDs on my LAN machine where in.
200gig 2 partitions NTFS
137gig for games
60gig for backup and images

40gig HDD for internet so it dosent screw up my 200.

Ok, well me and my friend got the whacky idea oh hey lets install Windows98SE and bring it to a LAN party to have a few laughs. Well i was bored last night and was going to install it on the 137gig partition right? Well when i was making ISOs and burning the cds i rememerd, oh yea 98 uses gay *** FAT32. So i figured, ok no problem ill just re-partition it and format it right? Wrong. I deleted the partition and tried getting Windows to format and it would give me an error. Tired doing it threw DOS, all i got was "Abort, Rety, Fail". So im ****ed by now but still had some tries in me. I stick in my Maxblast CD and all it wants to do is format the whole drive and make me re-partition the **** thing.
Still got any left? Sure, i stick in the XP cd and hoping it still has the format in FAT32 option. Did it? No. I have a new version of XP and the option isnt even there. Soooo i was going to get on here and ask a few questions right?

Well as of now i havent even touched or looked at my 40gig Internet drive which has its own little install of Windows in its own little corner. Whats does Windows do? F*** up!! NTLDR is missing, Cntrl+Alt+Delete to restart. GRRRRRRrR!!!! So now i have NO Windows 98, My games (which where backed up of course) all gone, NO INTERNET!!! Im humiliated cause im sittig here on my dads machine making a rant about PARTITIONS!! I just wanna KILL whoever came up w/ that **** idea!! K im done.

lol.

I feel sorry for you dude xD But you know, it could've been worse, Imagine that on you'r way to you'r dads pc, you saw a nickel on the floor so you bent to pick it up and a turkish guy ****ed you from behind, lol.

Well i could deffintely do w/ out that. I guess it could have been worse by my 60gig partition being gone and i really lost everything. Im only ranting now cause i have to reinstall XP twice and reinstall all of my crap.

im so sick of doing stuff like that seriously, and i 3 partitions, but they are just free space for my original install of XP.

partition magic yo.

I had something similar happen the other day. Split a 250gb hard drive into 10gb for a temp operating system to move everything over from my 80gb to the partition on this 250gb. After everything was moved over, I put the HD in my main machine and went to delete the small partition then merge the two to have my one complete drive back.

It moved it all over and took it's sweet time to and after words I couldn't access the folder that had my 80gb worth of stuff in it. It just said it merged the partitions with no problems and moved the info but apparently it didn't. HD Properties showed the amount of data taken up, but if you right clicked on the folder it'd say it was empty..........so I just had to format the beotch and remove all that stuff from my 80gb over.

insert knoppix disk or ANY linux install disk with a commandline setup, and use the linux fdisk to delete and format the FAT32, then install win98SE

poof, problem solved

windows filesystems and filesystem management has sucked since day 1, 15 years later it still does

Nubius said:

It moved it all over and took it's sweet time to and after words I couldn't access the folder that had my 80gb worth of stuff in it. I

Thats exactly what it did to me! Luckily I had nothing in it, but I still have an irritating folder there that I cannot delete... Grrrr!

Wellll come to find out i got my internet HD back online and it was showing a FAT16 partition and only 33.4gb. NOW, i have it as a NTFS but it still shows the whole drive is only 33.4gb. Ive tried using everything and dont have any Linux cds. Any idea how i can get my drive back? Its supposed to be 200gig but it says the whole thing is 33!!

MBR may be screwed at this point, Im not familiar enough with boot process of windows to know for certain whats wrong.......I know it uses the BIOS and MBR though to determine what size a HD is. Im pretty sure any partition changes require a reboot each time, so if for example you killed the FAT16, then turned around and formatted it as NTFS, it wont change its size. Move this to the windows software forum, someone like warezmonster or one of the other guys that is perpetually doing reformats might know the answer. I tend to set it and forget it, my days of screwing around just for the sake of doing it are over, havent done a reformat in more than a year, and about 3 years on my older linux boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom