I hate LED displays!

lorenzo70

Beta member
When I got my new laptop home, the screen shifted and changed every time I moved. I presumed the screen was broken and went back to the store. While at the store, I looked at other laptops and realized this is the way all the displays appear.

I'm 99% sure it's because my screen is CCFL back lit compared to the new tech of LED back lit. I know there are advantages to LED but CCFL creates a very smooth and constant transition when you change your viewing angle.

The high end LED displays are a little better but they still have the same issue. Are there any higher end laptops that were produced since about 2010 that have CCFL displays? I would rather buy a used computer now with CCFL and wait for LED resolution to catch up with CCFL resolution.

Any ideas?

HP G7. No problems here. HP 2311x no problems here either. Both LED back lit.
One thing you do need to check when buying a flat screen monitor, tv, laptop, is the viewing angle.

I think people have just gotten used to LED displays. If you look at a LED or a CCFL separately, the difference isn't as obvious. Also, I've had my laptop for a long time so I'm pretty keyed into the look of a CCFL display. If you have an old CCFL display put it next to an LED display. If you can show the same image, even better. The difference is dramatic. I found a video on-line that shows the difference in screen balance. They used a filter of some type to enhance the difference and it was pretty amazing to see the difference in screen balance. It was just for image balance and not viewing angle.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

PS I compared HP zv5140us (CCFL) to a HP dv6-7013cl(LED). Both are 15.6" but the zv is a 4:3 ratio and the dv is a 15.6 widescreen.

Back
Top Bottom