I hate being lied to

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
Here's the situation and maybe I handled it poorly, but it's all water under the bridge now.

My daughter went to the doctor last Thursday. The next day I went up there wanting some answers to some questions I had. I was told they couldn't tell me anything even though she is my daughter AND a minor. So I say I want a copy of her medical records. They say fine, it takes a week to get them and it costs $20. I say fine, I'll be back next Friday to pick them up and I leave.
Most places give the first copy for free and it takes 24 hours, but this is not the point.
I go back this afternoon, taking off early from work. I ask for her records and am told BY THE SAME PERSON that it takes a week and costs $20. To which I say, "Well I told you last Friday I would be back today to pick them up".
"No, you didn't say that"
"Yes I did"
"No you did not tell me that"
"Well can I pick them up?"
"No it takes a week"
"Well you aren't doing anything now, I can wait" (Admittedly this was not nice to say but I was getting mad by now)
"Look, I said it takes a week so you can come back"
"But I already waited a week. What's the problem?"
"You have to tell us that you are wanting them so we can get them ready for you"
"I told you that a week ago and you said it takes a week and I said I'll be back in a week to pick them up"
"No you did not say that"
" Are you calling me a liar?"
"Well you are calling me one"
"Yes I am because you are lying to me"

At this point it gets a little loud and she calls the cops to make me leave. No foul language was used and no name calling either. She also tells me I can no longer speak to her but I have to call back on Monday and speak to the doctor. I ask how am I supposed to ask for the doctor if I can't speak to you and you will be answering the phone? She gives me the "I am just doing my job and I do not have to listen to this" To which I tell her it is not my fault she is incompetent and unable to do her job correctly and avoid this issue. So I say I will call Monday morning and arrange a time to pick up her records if that will be OK. (While the cop is standing there) She says "You have to talk to the doctor" Fine, I will do just that. And I leave.

Was I completely out of line here? I just want what I asked for and that was it. And nobody in my family will be seeing that doctor again either.

see... this is where you screwd up.

When that ***** said "It takes a week" you should of unzipped your pants and stood on the desk/table/whatever and jizzed in her face.

But ya, it sucks man.

ever see the seinfeld episode where elaine is trying to find a doctor for something but she's "difficult"
then she gets kramer in trouble...or was it uncle leo first?...him not sure

hehe

Yo man, you were not out of line, she was being difficult. According to your record of the story, she broke one of the first unwritten rules of serving clientele, and that is that "The customer is always right."

When you said "Well I told you last Friday I would be back today to pick them up"

And she said,

"No, you didn't say that"

Right there she displayed a lack of professionalism. I'm only 18, but I've had plenty of experience in the sales industry selling electronics and furniture. Medical services are no different, and professionals in that field, including secretaries, should accommodate their customers in every which way.

When you said "Well I told you last Friday I would be back today to pick them up"

The next few words out of her mouth should've been: "Well I'm sorry, it may have been a misunderstanding on my part. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but the files are just not ready at this point and will unfortunately take week to be ready." Waving the $20 fee would've even been better.

I mean, sure you would've been ****ed, but it would've given you less of an opportunity to argue with her.

agreed. i wouldn't say it was out of line for her to say that she didn't think you said that, but definitly the next thing that she should have said is something to the effect of my fault, i'll do all i can to correct the situation. and thats where it should have ended.

Well, the getting loud part was a little out of line, but that's all. The chick is an idiot.

First off, you are the child's father and caretaker, so you have every friggin' right to know what the doctor said, The exemption to this would be if the child in not in your custody, as in a divorce.

You are right about the medical records, and you of all people should know. A week? Yeah, right. Chickadee is being lazy. unless your daughter has a file a foot thick it wouldn't take more than a day. Plus, a doctor's office that would charge you up front is not a place you want to go back to (but I think that problem has already been taken care of).

When you talk to the doctor on Monday, make sure he knows what REALLY happened instead of Miss Piggy's version. Be sure to be very calm and relaxed when talking to him so as to not come across as a [rectum]. he nees to know what kind of person is sitting out front and how she treats his patients and their families.

She messed up but I wouldn't have started a loud argument with her over just that. Maybe had a tone, though, I don't know I wasn't there. I don't think you were totally out of line. Most places have weird confidentiality rules regarding people's medical records even for minors. A lot of it seems based on the fear that good old alcoholic abusive dad will beat his daughter if he finds out she's getting birth control pills or something. As far as I know, Doctor-Patient confidentiality can always be invoked, minor or not. You don't always have the right to look at your daughter's records even if you are her parent. It seems more like an invasion of privacy to me than anything. If you deserved to be informed of something then surely you would have. That's just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom