I dodged a bullet today!

Wow they have been laying people off at my job for the last several months. So I was finishing up my night shift this morning and the day shift crew was coming on. This is the shift the main shop supervisor works on.

So I was cleaning up and he came over and said we need to talk about some stuff. I asked right now and he said go ahead and get changed then will talk. So naturally I'm thinking I'm the next one to bite the dust.

I get changed and go into his office. He starts talking about how things are really slow and they didn't think they were fully utilizing me on my current schedule. So after a few minutes I come to find out there not laying me off there changing my swing shift schedule to a standard Fri-Mon 7am-5pm shift. So instead of being on 12's I'll be working 4, 10 hour days.

And since I did carpool with 2 other guys that were on my crew he said that when there crew is scheduled I can still car pool with them and just work 12 hours those days.

I'm kind of happy since its a standard shift finally. It should work out to more hours per month then I was getting. It will be so nice to be able to wake up every morning knowing I won't have to switch from day shift to night shift every few days. Plus I still have a job!

So for now I'm not going to join the growing statistic of laid off workers :D

Good News! My sister is worried because she works for a shipping company and they are currently slashing staff,luckily where my dad works they are actually getting quite alot of business at the moment.

That's great to hear not everyone is getting the hack. But I wouldn't take this as a sign that you're safe. If they've already been laying people off and are now restructuring people's work schedules that is not a sign of good things to come.

nice! you are a lucky guy. I have noticed many people being layed off where i am working too...but i am stilling hanging on lol.

No one has been laid off at my work. though they are cutting back on OT. I can see some future lay offs soon.

Back
Top Bottom