I Can't Connect to the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

compubuff

Beta member
I just bought a Dell 1450 Wireless USB adaptor which I am using with my Dell Dimension. I installed the CD software and the unit appears to be working properly but I can't connect to the internet. My neighbor next door has a network and he has given me permission to piggyback on his connection. I see his network although his signal strength is only two bars, but even though I connect to his network, I can't launch my browser without my dialup box coming up asking me to dial up. When I click on view networks, a box pops up saying "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection." By the way, my neighbor's network is not protected and I should be able to use it. Any ideas as to what I can do to make this work?

you need to ask the neighbor if the router is running dhcp or not. Then ensure that your tcp/ip settings are set to use dhcp. If not the you will have to input a correct ip from the same pool as his machine.

If all that is correct try right clicking on the wireless icon and choose repair (XP only)

Thanks for the prompt replies. I changed the dial up options to never
connect and I was able to get a brief connection to yahoo.com, while offline from my dialup connection. That being the case, I know it will work, but apparently it is not reliable because of the weak signal I am getting. Is there any way that the signal can be amplified so that I can have a reliable connection? I tried moving the adaptor around the room, but I couldn't get above two bars on the signal strength and most of the time it was only 1 bar. I was wondering if I were to attach an antenna to my adaptor whether that would draw in the signal better? I see where the pci internal adaptors have antenna's but my Dell 1450 doesn't have one. Any ideas?

you can get repeaters, but I am not sure they would work for that. The best way is to get closer the router, or eliminate some of the interferece i.e walls. Other than that there is little you can do. Maybe you could buy them a router with a stronger signal? Or just go get yourself one and a broadband connection...

yes, thanks...I'm really wet behind the ears on this network stuff. Maybe you can tell me what the symbols mean on the view wireless connections. I see some connections with a black pawn symbol, some have a red circle above them with a diagonal line through the circle and some have a blue circle with no line through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom