I called the MTO yesterday

winslow33

Daemon Poster
OK, I found an 1988 Ford Ranger for sale a few days ago... a little hot rod project, an older gentleman owned it he wanted $500. He said i could take it for $200... So I called the Ministry of Transportation (MTO, same thing as a DMV for you americans) about getting a temporary insurence permit to drive it home.

They told me that because it was over 21 years old I, the buyer, needed to bring it to a dealership to be appraised. Wich would cost me about $300 out of my pocket BEFORE IT COULD BE SOLD TO ME!
this makes absolutely no sence at all! I bought the F150 and Trans Am with no problem, both well over 21 years old and never went to a dealership for either vehicle. Its not even because on emmisions; in Northern Ontario you dont need to get your vehicle E-tested by law.

I'm going to call back on Monday and hopefully get someone else on the line to double-check this, it makes no sence.. :confused:

God I hate the MTO..

Wow, that makes no sense at all, why would you have to go get it appraised? It's just an old truck you're buying for $200, they should just let it go and give you the temporary permit.

Yeah, things around my state usually go like this: "Ok, you just bought the car. We know why you don't have insurance. We don't care. Just get the car home safe, get insurance, tags and pay the taxes on it as soon as you can."

In fact, I wouldn't have even called the MTO. I would have just bought the car right out, got insurance on it, and THEN talk to them. Then again, does Canada have options for insurance or is it all government?

I didnt want to get the temporary but the owner told me that he wont let me drive it away unless i either tow it or get a temporary.. i figured the $15 permit is a lot cheaper than driving over in our F350 and back..

I called to double-check today and its because its over 21 years old, the MTO doesnt have on record how much the average price a vehicle like that is worth. And in Canada when you register a used vehicle, you pay taxes on either
-the ammount you paid for the vehicle
-the average market value of the car
This is determined by wichever is higher. So they need me to get an appraisal to show what the estimated market value would be to register it in my name. Seems like an odd reason; ive always gotten taxed on the ammount I paid. I called a shop that does appraisals, it will cost me $45, all they need is my ownership.

Quick question- in Ontario you have 6 days from the time of purchase to go to the MTO and register the truck. What would happen if I didnt get it registered then, say events forced me to wait say a month? Would they let me register or would the truck get impounded and me fined?

Yeah, things around my state usually go like this: "Ok, you just bought the car. We know why you don't have insurance. We don't care. Just get the car home safe, get insurance, tags and pay the taxes on it as soon as you can."

In fact, I wouldn't have even called the MTO. I would have just bought the car right out, got insurance on it, and THEN talk to them. Then again, does Canada have options for insurance or is it all government?

Thats what i wanted to just do, going to the MTO is like going to hell and back, haha..

Winslow, I figure any equivalent to our DMV, no matter what country, is the exact same. Wait in long lines, talk to someone who is in a bad mood, fill out papers, sit and wait, talk to another person who is in a bad mood, wait on them to do stuff, then sit and wait some more. My last trip to the DMV was just under 5 hours long. Luckily I don't have to go again for awhile.

yeah true... the one in my town is so bad i drive 1 hour to the next town to do business... most government places are like that. beuacracy never gets any darn work done

With my insurance company (State Farm), a car you just bought is insured for up to 30 days after purchase. I figured all insurance companies did this or something similar. I guess not.

Back
Top Bottom