i broke vista

dude_se

Proper Legend
well, i tried to install partition magic, all was ok. i ran it, got a bsod, then every time i booted the pc it would half load then bsod. i tried the repair thing but it just wasnt picking up the hdd and i didnt know what drivers to try and load. the problem is to do with the partition table, but i cant seem to fix it lol. i then downloaded ubuntu off a uni pc, burnt it to disc (which im using now), so im just wondering how the heck i can fix this lol. i also dropped my external hdd the other day so thats gone, so i cant wipe this disc.
oh 1 other thing. i found this linux program. it did some checks on the disc and tried to repair some stuff. now when i boot it says .../winload.exe is missing, etc...
any ideas?

wow...you have me puzzeled completely. i will do some research and see what you could possibly do to fix that. i'll get back to you if i find anything useful for you.

*that sucks you dropped your external...

i know. really does :(
and thanks dude. im doing the best i can via google/live cd lol.

@crappy bob, well what do you mean? remember im using a live cd and am in linux, where it just wont give me access to the c drive.

try taking another harddrive...instal the OS on it and see if u can access the other drive in windows...atleast to get all your stuff off it if its possible.

and like crappybob asked...make sure you do check disk on the hd.

i think you guys fail to realise that im stuck in linux. i cant do anything else, i dont have any other spare disks, etc lol :(

is your C: drive visible from your linux boot disk? If not then I don't really know what you can do right now.

If you had a shared drive on your network and were able to browse your C: drive from your linux boot disk then at least you could copy files off your hard drive and make sure your data was safe.

What about copying files over to a USB drive?
Does your hard drive show up in your BIOS?

im not sure if im making this clear or not, but the hdd is fine. its all to do with the partition table/partitions, etc. i cant access it via linux but it detects it in the partition program. the hdd will work fine if i format it, but i need the data

Dude, PartitionMagic doesn't work on Vista, it's an XP-only thing.

What did you need to do anyway? Why not just use Disk Management from within Vista?

Put in your Vista DVD and do a startup repair.

tried to see if it picked up my broken external hdd lol.
i put in the vista disc. went to the recovery centre. nothing works. it scanned and seemed to repair a problem, the backup option didnt work, and the others were just bs. im going to try a tiny xp usb edition, so atleast i can use a lot more programs that way.

well im bakc home for the weekend now, so my plan of action is to get office, some recovery app's, and anything else i may need to sort out my laptop.
i installed vista to the recovery partition last night and its all working now, well, theres no sign of the os on my main partition, infact it says 283gb out of 285gb is free, and the only file on it is a bootsect.bak. im hoping that as i havent touched it the data will be easy to recover.

Back
Top Bottom