I am having trouble uninstalling Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

akkid

Baseband Member
Hi, I am wondering if there is a way to wipe my entire drive (I am in a huge mess, I have three OS's and want to get rid of them all) and start fresh.

But the problem is that when I try to uninstall one of the OS's through C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\osuninst.exe...I receive the error message...

..."Setup cannot uninstall Windows XP because the necessary registration information is missing"

How can I uninstall Windows XP and avoid this?

It's a Dell Opitplex GX 280 with Windows XP Home Edition.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. Thank You

Just reformat the drive and start from scratch. Are you familiar with that process? Also you know you will lose ALL data on the hard drive and items should be backed up that are important (photos, documents etc). That will take care of the problem and if a list of OS choices still come up at boot we can edit the BOOT.INI as needed.

I am actually not familiar with that process. And yes I have removed all the things I needed so thats not a problem.

put in the XP CD on boot, and just before you install it should give you the option to format. format to NTFS (full or quick, doesn't matter) and it will be completely clean

Whats the best way to go...download a Windows 98 Bootdisk or put in the XP CD on boot?

I'm sorry I do not know much about these things.

OK Thank You..but I have another question

I went to www.bootdisk.com from what Warez Monster said and I found a Windows 98 bootdisk but it has multiple choices for Windows 98 and something about Mirror1, 2, 3

Which one do I need?

OK Thank You..but I have another question

I went to www.bootdisk.com from what Warez Monster suggested and I found a Windows 98 bootdisk but it has multiple choices for Windows 98 and something about Mirror1, 2, 3

Which one do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom