HUGE Problem With My Laptop.

David97108

Beta member
EDIT: I am attempting to download some drivers on this computer to a memory stick and transfer it over, I will update and let you guys know if it works or not.. in the mean time, please post your suggestions.

EDIT 2: It worked... wow. Solved I guess. At least now I can help people that I see with the same problem. Haha!

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5750.

Alright, where do I begin...

My laptop was running fine up until a few days ago. I believe I must have gotten a terrible virus or something because this is just awful. I was on my computer for a really long time as usual, and I know that some viruses infect your startup, that way it will affect your computer every time you go on... so.. the very first time after restarting my computer after that long session, it blue screened upon turning on, right after the windows screen. Immediately I thought 'okay.. safe mode.' however, I was unable to even put the computer into safe mode for some reason, which boggles my mind even still because I was able to do so in the past without an issue. I double checked the steps online and I was doing it correctly. So I did what I had to do, which is very hard to do as a game developer, and completely wiped my computer and re-installed Windows 7 Home Premium. It now starts up fine, I can log into my user account, all that stuff.

The very first thing I noticed when I logged in was that there were no wireless connections available, which I found to be very strange because I was connected to my wireless on several other devices, and there were plenty other wireless connections listed..

I thought maybe the problem was that my wireless adapter was disabled, because that had also mistakenly happened to me in the past. So I went to re-enable it, but I couldn't find it anywhere. It is no longer listed.

This is where it gets interesting. I do what I normally do, right click the connection thing and click 'troubleshoot problems'. I get the response:

"Install a driver for your network adapter"

"Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."

I hit 'next'.

"Resolving problems."

"Troubleshooting has completed"

"Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues found. You can find more details below."

"Problems found:"

"Windows could not find a driver for your network adapter"

So I go to open up windows update because that's what it tells me to do, so it can find updated drivers and stuff for me. So I'm on the Windows update thing, I click 'check for updates' and it can't do it because I'm not connected to the internet.

Right, so I need an Ethernet cable..?

I go grab an Ethernet cable and attempt to connect to the internet with that, doesn't work. I grab a different one to make sure the previous Ethernet cable isn't broken or damaged. Nope, my laptop just doesn't want to connect to the internet.

I am writing this thread on my desktop computer that is connected to the internet with the same Ethernet cable that I tried on my laptop, so I know for a fact that it works.

Last edited:
Glad you got it working.

You should check Device Manager for any other hardware that doesn't have it's drivers installed as well (items marked with yellow exclamation marks), since you reinstalled Win7.

Normally when I have this issue with wireless adapters I go into device manager and uninstall the wireless card. Reboot the computer, it will reinstall and most problems are solved.

Back
Top Bottom