HP Scanjet 3300C with Windows XP

John Bull

In Runtime
I have Windows XP, SP3, IE7 and OE6.

18 months ago I upgraded my Windows from 98 to XP.
HP Scanjet 3300C worked OK with Win98 but does not work with WinXP.

The literature says it is only designed for Win98. When I try to use it, the software says "Cannot locate scanner", so obviously nothing is working.

Many items on the web including HP, say there is an update for the Software/Driver for HP Scanjet 3300C which is compatible with WinXP and if this is installed then my scanner and WinXP will all work with no problems.

I tried to download one of these updates, but it failed. The HP site is payware.

Can anybody tell me how to get my scanner working ?
I am not paying anything, so am looking for a freeware solution.

Do I delete all the existing HP software before installing any update ?

How do I install an update ? Some say it has to be done in Safe Mode, others that it can be done with all systems live and others say the AV and Firewalls have to be disabled.

A proper confusion. No clear instructions from anybody, just sketchy guidelines.
Any offers please for a solution to my problem and giving a stepped procedure for doing it ?
KAS

Ok.

Uninstall any existing HP Software for this scanner,restart you computer and then download THIS and install it.

Thanks, it looks highly promising indeed and I will try it.

But, I cannot find an "uninstall" tag for HP PrecisionScan LT Software anywhere on my PC.
I have done much installing and uninstalling, but no luck this time.

Any clues how to safely and completely get rid of all this old HP software ?

SEARCH of course brings up all the files etc. and I can manually delete them.
Is this my only way ? When software like this is simply deleted in the normal way, is it effectively "uninstalled" or does it still reside on my hard disk ?
KAS

Look in the program folders of the HP software. They will sometimes have a built in uninstaller.

Negative - there is no uninstall anywhere on my system, if there is, I cannot find it. Thank you very much HP, you`ve made my day..

So, I have no alternative but to hack through various searches in a hotch-potch manner to delete every HP file I can find, bearing in mind that some residue rubbish is bound to allude me, then with the scanner disconnected, download the software suggested in this thread and see if it all works.

Any problems with this somewhat bone-headed approach, then I would appreciate your comments.

This effort to make my HP scanner 3300C work with Windows XP seems like trying to re-invent the wheel.
KAS

Well you dont REALLY have to uninstall the HP Software,Just the drivers (Well,Mainly the device).Though to save you some time,the HP Driver install MIGHT Do it for you,so you can try installing the installer.

try and uninstalling it from Device manager. Right click my computer, go to advanced and click "Device Manager". Then find the printer under printers, and uninstall it from there.

Back
Top Bottom