HP Pavillion dv7 vs. Alienware M17

PBHiroshima

Solid State Member
Ok, I am just now starting college and I need a gaming laptop. I built my desktop, but it's seriously outdated and I am looking for a laptop to really replace my desktop. I was considering this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834147996

because it is very affordable and to my knowledge has excellent specs. My limit is $2,100 so I decided I'd look for a more expensive one. That's when I came upon the M17. I specced it out with Dual 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850, Intel Core2 Quad Q9000 2.00GHz (6MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB), and to top it all off 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SO-DIMM at 1066MHz but it came out to be $2,099. I want a laptop that has an excellent gaming performance, as well as decent affordability. Any input would be excellent...even if it's a whole new laptop completely.

I don't think a core2quad would be very good at those speeds. Not all programs are optimized for 4 cores, and ones that aren't will suffer due to the low clock speeds. That being said, battery life will also probably be horrible.

2 k is not the definition of affordability

I never said it had to be incredibly cheap and amazing...I said DECENT affordability..if you aren't going to help me then go away and troll some other post.

I don't think a core2quad would be very good at those speeds. Not all programs are optimized for 4 cores, and ones that aren't will suffer due to the low clock speeds. That being said, battery life will also probably be horrible.

So what would you recommend for a gaming laptop?

Are you planning on bringing this baby around college? Alienware will be definitely heavier than you think it is going to be. If it is going to sit on your desk its fine, but then you should just get a desktop for that job and get way more for your money.

Are you planning on bringing this baby around college? Alienware will be definitely heavier than you think it is going to be. If it is going to sit on your desk its fine, but then you should just get a desktop for that job and get way more for your money.

Very true. Laptops that are any good for gaming are usually heavy and won't be fun for taking to class for notes and stuff like that.

My $.02: Build a new desktop, spending around $1500 (a $1500 desktop will be significantly better than any $2100 laptop), and buy a cheap laptop/netbook for taking around to class and everything. That's what I did, and it's been working out great for me. My netbook is small and light, and works great for taking notes, and when I need to do tasks that it can't handle I just use my desktop.

Only problem with this idea is that your gaming rig isn't portable. I made the compromise though, and I really feel like its worth it.

I never said it had to be incredibly cheap and amazing...I said DECENT affordability..if you aren't going to help me then go away and troll some other post.

So what would you recommend for a gaming laptop?

no one's trolling dude, lighten up, but yeah, I guess when your budget is $2,100, a $1,200 laptop is very affordable (which is what you said, not "decent" affordability), the resolution on that one you linked is only 1600x900 though, the second one listed here the Alienware Area-51 m15x is ~ the same price and although the display is smaller (15.4") it does 1920x1080...

and the idea posted above is a much greater value, and instead of $1500 you could spend $1000 on a good gaming desktop...

Alienware is overrated, don't buy it. Besides, a gaming laptop isn't going to be as portable as you think, like others have said, it's going to be heavy and hard to carry. You can't have high power and light weight in one package, it's one or the other. If you're looking for a gaming laptop, fine, but be prepared to lug it around. You could build a comparable desktop for half the price.

Back
Top Bottom