HP Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

strugglin

Solid State Member
I'm thinking of buying an HP NX6110 (Intel Celeron) M370 1.5Ghz Laptop computer so that I can ditch this ancient 800Mhz job running Windows 98. If anyone has used this model i would appreciate any comments.

Ian

Well, for starters, it will be much faster than your 800Mhz laptop.
Not only is it double the speed, the technology makes it much faster. And Celeron M's are really high in cache. I have a Toshiba Celeron M 1.8 Ghz, its pretty fast.

Four hours of battery life is a plus :D.

Don't expect to game on that laptop, it only has 256MB RAM, and 512MB RAM is the total it can handle. Also, the video is nothing special. Overall, its a nice internet surfer or movie player, but not gaming rig.

Hi Talldude - thanks for the info, I also looked at the Toshiba Satellite Pro L20 Intel Celeron M 1.5 Ghz - it has 3 usb ports instead of the HP's 2, but it has no Firewire connection port. Now I'm not too sure what a Firewire port is, but I think it's so that other bits and pieces can be attached to the computer - whether or not it's important I just don't know - also I thought that the battery life on the Toshibas was only about 1.5 hours as opposed to the HP 4hrs, but I might be wrong there. I use a Playstation 2 for any gaming I do so it's not important for the computer to be able to handle games. By the way my 800Mhz computer is a desk top but I also have a 1.5 Ghz desk top running XP although the wife uses that one mostly so I suppose it's really hers. Anyway I'll just have to make up my mind which laptop to get, but it's nice to hear that you think the HP I mentioned is OK. It's a bit of a minefield when you want to change computers isn't it - technology moves along so fast nowadays.
Thanks again Mate,

Ian

The only thing I don't like about the HP model is that the ram can only go up to 512mb, that's awful in terms of upgrade-ability (sp). I'm not convinced that when you want a little extra speed in a year or two you won't regret that laptop. But if honestly all you do is surf, type, and do some music then it'll be fine.
Toshiba lapptops are okay but they have kind of flimsy keyboards and their lower end laptops do get poor battery life, 1.5-2 hours max. Also keep in mind that most Toshibas are notoriously hard to service. They don't keep instructions on their website like most other manufacturers do so most repairs have to be done through them (spendy). I like HP/Compaq better over all.

Thanks Guys - I'm fairy convinced now that the HP stuff will be OK - I might look for a bit higher rated model with an intel Pentium board like my desktop is - but I just want the lap top for surfing, emailing and the like. I'm expecting that in a couple of years time the technology in computing wil have galloped even more ahead and the new laptop by then will be bin fodder.

Thanks again Guys

Ian

my only opinion is that HP sucks, but the laptops actually work quite well, they're just limited (cause it's a laptop not a high-end gaming rig)

Bad idea to buy a Pentium or Celeron M right now. They're worth crap at this point now that the Core Duos are out.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom