HP dv7-1135nr Issue

LeGaCyGiAnT124

Beta member
Hello,

I am new here and wanted to obtain your guys input on the issue I am having with my dv7-1135nr. I got this laptop back in 09, and roughly 8 months ago it started randomly shutting off when it clearly had battery life left. The temporary fix for that was to unplug the battery, hold down the power button for 30+ seconds and it would work fine again. The only time the laptop wouldn't shut off randomly is if it was on the charger. If it was off the charger below 50% it would shut off randomly. I also noticed that my screen was fuzzy if you looked really hard at it. I figured the graphics card was going out on it. Eventually about 2 months ago my battery charger stopped working completely and I had to use my girlfriends. After that happened my battery stopped holding charge as well and the laptop let me know it needed replaced. Then finally yesterday when I went to turn it on the fan kicks on for a second and all of the lights pop up but it wont boot at all, not even to the windows splash screen / BIOS. From reading a ton of information online, it appears that these HP dv7's have motherboard issues from overheating. My question is there a cheap way to fix this permanently and is it infact the motherboard that's bad? It honestly doesn't seem worth it to replace with a new motherboard either since I could just get a new laptop cheaper by the time I replace the battery, charger, and motherboard. What is the initial reason this occurs?? Here is a spec list of my laptop as well.

Product Specifications - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Product Name dv7-1135nr
Product Number FS129UA#ABA
Microprocessor 2 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-70 Dual-Core Mobile Processor
Microprocessor Cache 1 MB L2 Cache
Memory 4096 MB
Memory Max 8192MB
Video Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics RS780M
Video Memory Up to 1918 MB
Hard Drive 250 GB (5400 rpm)
Multimedia Drive LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 17.0” diagonal WXGA+ High-Definition Brightview Infinity Display (1440 x 900)
Fax/Modem High speed 56K modem
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g WLAN
Sound Altec Lansing speakers
Keyboard 101-key compatible
Pointing Device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical and horizontal Scroll Up/Down padOne ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
External Ports
  • 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
  • 4 Universal Serial Bus USB 2.0
  • 4th port shared with eSATA
  • 1 VGA (15-pin)
  • 1 HDMI
  • 1 RJ-11 (modem)
  • eSATA + USB 2.0
  • 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
  • 2 headphone-out
  • 1 microphone-in
  • 1 notebook expansion port 3
  • 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire (4-pin)
  • 1 Consumer IR
Dimensions15.59 (L) x 11.22" (D) x 1.31 (min H)/1.66(max H)Weight7.57 lbsSecurity
  • Kensington MicroSaver lock slot
  • Power-on password
  • Accepts 3rd party security lock devices
Power
  • 65 W AC Adapter
  • 8-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)
What's In The BoxHP Pavilion WebCam with Integrated Microphone

A lot of laptops & PC's have an average shelf life up to 3 to 4 years....
Time to buy a new one.;)

:( Is it pretty much just scrap then? I tore the whole thing down to the motherboard. Is there a demand for any of the parts do you think? Or should I just put it back together and get the 80 dollars out of it? What caused it to fail do you think? Overheating?

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Another question I have to, is how do you know which motherboards would fit this DV7 case? The Model Number for the motherboard that came with it is 486542-001, but how do you know which ones would fit if you were to order them off of newegg or some other site? I understand if I buy a new motherboard that I will have to get new ram depending if it's DDR2 or not. I am just curious how you are able to know if stuff can simply be swapped out or not.

Let me post the items of value which will (should be) standard across many laptops, assuming they are working correctly.

Processor - If it is removable
RAM
Screen
Harddrive
Disc Drive
Heatsink can be sold for a very small amount as it's copper :D

:( Is it pretty much just scrap then? I tore the whole thing down to the motherboard. Is there a demand for any of the parts do you think? Or should I just put it back together and get the 80 dollars out of it? What caused it to fail do you think? Overheating?

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Another question I have to, is how do you know which motherboards would fit this DV7 case? The Model Number for the motherboard that came with it is 486542-001, but how do you know which ones would fit if you were to order them off of newegg or some other site? I understand if I buy a new motherboard that I will have to get new ram depending if it's DDR2 or not. I am just curious how you are able to know if stuff can simply be swapped out or not.
If it is a few years old I doubt you would get new parts for it, the vendor would only know the parts info....
Even if you could get the parts it will probably be too expensive to repair.

Back
Top Bottom