How would I accomplish this?

Devils6258

Baseband Member
We just dropped our TV service for Netflix and so far it has been pretty good. My HDTV is right next to my computer and I have Eyefinity set up to extend the display to both my computer screen and TV screen. It has been incredibly handy for playing movies from Netflix. The only problem I encounter is that my girlfriend likes to watch the TV while I use the computer. When we had our TV service she could flip through channels and chose what she wanted to watch without interfering with what I was doing on the computer. Now that I stream from Netflix to the big screen I need to pause whatever I am doing and chose something myself to put on for her every time whatever show she is watching ends. Is it possible to have two separate mice controlling each individual screen? I use programs in full screen mode and I cannot simply slide over to the next screen unless I completely close the program I am using. I also don't want to use programs in windowed mode. Would it be possible to have two completely separate mouse cursors on the same computer controlling separate screens? Also, I would like to be able to use my headphones for what is on my main computer screen, while the sound for the big screen comes from my computer speakers. Is this possible??

I don't know of a way to do that and maybe some of the guys here might. Personally, I run netflix through my xbox 360. My cousin has accomplished what you want to do by using vmware to turn his desktop into a server and run two separate OS's so that one never interferes with the other. Not sure you want to invest into vmware (it's expensive)...someone else would have a better idea. Still, xbox is the way to go in my opinion.

Xbox and Wii both have Netflix access. You can buy a Blu-Ray player for ~$40 that will do the same.

Frankly, I think it would be worth the investment to buy the Blu-Ray if you don't have a console-- better to let the girlfriend have free rein over the television while you use your computer unimpeded.

A more expensive solution that will allow you to do the Netflix thing is an HTPC (Home Theater PC) - they don't need to be very powerful, I built one for our breakroom at work with an old Core 2 Duo 1.86 GHz, 4GB RAM and a Radeon HD 4350. Used the onboard audio, LAN and set it up so that they could watch Hulu Free, and the integrated channels, as well as an HDTV tuner.

The initial investment is higher than the bluray drive and even a console (depending) but you can do so much with them - including time shifting (DVR) on over the air HD channels, etc. The other advantage is that you can buy a BluRay ROM for the PC and play your bluray/DVD movies that way too, if you've got your mind set on BluRay.

I know it's more expensive, but a lot of people don't seem to know about it. You do need Windows 7 Home Premium or better to access it. I'm not trying to downplay Dngrsone or anyone else's feedback, just an alternative in case you had the interest.

Back
Top Bottom