How to use a windows feature??

Hi !! Not much action on this thread. Oh well that's OK. Just bored and wanting some thing to do. Here's some windows features that I have found handy. W7 has a feature that creates a image of your OS. Not the best way IMHO to create a back up image, but better than nothing.
This could help you if you ever had a problem with your computer. It's better than restoring to a earlier time IMHO on some occasions.
How to Create a System Image in Windows 7, 8, or 10
Restoring to a earlier time can also be a good way to recover from problems you're having. Another W7 feature
What is System Restore? - Windows Help
Another W7 feature is sfc /scannow
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833
chkdsk is a W7 feature that will check for bad sectors on your HD.
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10
Windows 7 will also test your memory. Not as good as memtest86+, but it might help you find a memory problem!
Diagnosing memory problems on your computer
Have I missed one?? Please feel free to post any feature I've missed. I'll try to think of any I've missed! I'm sure I missed some!!
Good night CF members!
Gary!!

Hi Just a little info on my reliability monitor. I know you Geeks don't think it's any good, but I doubt if you have even tried watching it to see how your PC is performing.
Here's a good example. I was messing with Java up date and this is what happened.
You will see that reliability monitor picked up the glitch. No big deal, but to me it's a pretty neat way to watch how my PC is performing on a daily basis!
I challenge you to post screen shots of your reliability monitor. I know you are bored like myself. LOL
Gary
PS Some times this forum gets a little boring. Wish there were more problems to solve. I go back and forth to Techist and there isn't that much activity going on over there either. LOL Wonder when the merger will happen????

Attachments

• Capture49.jpg
    Capture49.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture50.jpg
    Capture50.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi A couple more tips about W7 performance. I know this is boring to you geeks, but maybe a visitor will find some thing interesting to read.
Gary!!

Attachments

• Capture49.jpg
    Capture49.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture50.jpg
    Capture50.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1
Hi! Just a thought! If you did use the W7 feature to create a image; (which was mentioned in above reply's), of your OS, it might save you some day. I prefer Using Macrium, but the windows feature is better then nothing. You could use the system repair disc to get you to that image ;which is also mentioned in this thread, and hopefully use it to get your old PC back up and running.
Well that sounds like a good plan. It might even work!!
Always thinking of ways to recover from disasters.
Do you have any plans you would like to share while the forum is boring?? LOL
Gary!!

Attachments

• Capture51.JPG
    Capture51.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I guess this is my thread. I seem to be hogging it.
Just trying to make a hand here before the merge as I doubt if these kind of threads will be appreciated or even allowed after the merge.
Those are my thoughts this evening. LOL
Gary!!

Don't be disheartened, I think this forum is totally different to a lot of others... I'm not aware of any major personal grudges or personal vendettas here and everyone seems to get on well as a group and not in different cliques... I think that shows how accepting we are as a community so I think we need to keep our minds open for the merge with tech forum! :)

I think the snipping tool is fantastic, Remote Desktop is probably the tool I use the most at my workplace, can be super handy in connecting to other PCs on your network!

Hi joe Thanks for your reply! I forgot the Remote Desktop! Is this what you're referring to??

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom