how to use 2 host for one domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohand

In Runtime
I have a paid host, which was for an upgrade for a original pay host, and i transfered domain to the pay host. Now the question is, i still want to use the old free host which was for some backup and additional storage and other reason. i want to add or redirect it to the same domain such as www.domain.com/freehostspace is there a posible way to do it? the good thing is that the old site uses cpanel and have many options, eventhough there is limites, is it possible for me to do this? will it be useful if i add it to the name server as ns1.newhost.com
ns2.newhost.com
ns1.oldhost.com
ns2.oldhost.com
?
thanks a lot in advence!

gohand said:
I have a paid host, which was for an upgrade for a original pay host, and i transfered domain to the pay host. Now the question is, i still want to use the old free host which was for some backup and additional storage and other reason. i want to add or redirect it to the same domain such as www.domain.com/freehostspace is there a posible way to do it? the good thing is that the old site uses cpanel and have many options, eventhough there is limites, is it possible for me to do this? will it be useful if i add it to the name server as ns1.newhost.com
ns2.newhost.com
ns1.oldhost.com
ns2.oldhost.com
?
thanks a lot in advence!

If you have dns servers for both hosts it is not going to work as you expect. DNS works at random so sometimes people will be directed to your old host and sometimes to your new host which is probably not what you want. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish but you cannot share the space between both hosts and expect it to be accessible from both sites.

Maybe you if you explain exactly what you are trying to do I can give you better advice.

i am not sure is that possible though, what i mean is a redirect from a same domain at a sub directory like: domainname.com----pointing at----first host space; domainname.com/backups or backups.domainame..com--- point at---second host space. Is that possible?

gohand said:
i am not sure is that possible though, what i mean is a redirect from a same domain at a sub directory like: domainname.com----pointing at----first host space; domainname.com/backups or backups.domainame..com--- point at---second host space. Is that possible?

I still don't think what you're saying is very clear but what I think you are trying to do is a simple URL redirect, correct?

For example if I go to domain.comname.com/backups it should then forward me to anotheraddress.com ?

If so then you can use META tags to do that :

<META
HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"
CONTENT="5; URL=autoforward_target.html">

if that is possible the solution is good, but in this case, the both hosts have already setted as one domain name, and might not be change, so now the problem is, how can i connect and use 2 host space separate but effectively(meaning not go to wich by random) with a same domain

gohand said:
if that is possible the solution is good, but in this case, the both hosts have already setted as one domain name, and might not be change, so now the problem is, how can i connect and use 2 host space separate but effectively(meaning not go to wich by random) with a same domain

I really think there is a communication problem here because with each reply I'm trying to guess what you're actually trying to do or accomplish.

I'm going back to my first guess which is that you want to share the space between two hosting accounts for the one domain.

That isn't possible unfortunately no matter how you do it.

One thing that might help you, is if you create an A record such as section.yourdomain.com and maybe point it to your old host if it is a section you need more space for.

Hope that helps

well, yes that might help, (and excuse my poor english!) can you show me more specifically how can i point section.yourdomain.com to that old host

gohand said:
well, yes that might help, (and excuse my poor english!) can you show me more specifically how can i point section.yourdomain.com to that old host

What you can do is contact your current host who's nameservers are you using eg.

ns1.newhost.com
ns2.newhost.com

Tell them you want an A record created such as:
newsection.yourdomain.com

Tell them to point it to IP: whatever IP address your old host had for your domain. You have to have your old host setup a virtual host in apache for the subdomain as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom