How to speed up my internet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone doesn't mind id like some step by step directions on how to secure my wireless router.

If having administrator privileges, you can simply turn on/create a required password for all connections on your wireless. There are also several ways to prevent other people from accessing your wireless connection if you have it. People accessing your internet from outside (i.e neighbors etc) can cause a lot bandwidth to be used on your internet.

There are several ways to secure your wireless router:

Don't broadcast your SSID (network name). This will prevent your network from showing up on the access list of wireless connections available.

WPA encryption instead of WEP. WPA is more secure than WEP, also because your password is not limited to 0-9 and A-Z. This basically means you can use the most advanced password you can ever think of, including all characters you can find. WPA is also built into Win XP (with the latest Service Pack) and other modern wireless routers/access points.

Disable remote admin and remote login.

Its just the dell (280 optiplex , 80BG harddrive, 512 MB ram, 3.0 GHz processor) i have downstairs in my room,and yes it just seem to be the internet which is connected with a wireless usb adapter. The main floor computer if running great now after a reinstall and clean out it is a wired connection same with the other one downstairs and it runs fine as well.

You might want to consider about increasing your ram to at least 1Gb

I am thinking your just not getting a good signal with the usb network adapter mate, you could try moving the computer to the router and try it wired to see if the internet is any faster, if it is not, or is only a bit faster you know it is not completely just poor signal.

the 2 wired desktops handle fine, the dell is the one im having problems with. I also have problems with the ps3 it is also downstairs and disconnects constantly very hard to play anything online. The xbox is my brothers and i don't ever hear him whinning so im assuming its getting got wireless it does have the adapter in the back tho. Is there anyway i can get a better wireless signal to the devices downstairs. I have a linksys WRT 150N router.

Here's some instructional videos that may help you out.

YouTube - How To Boost Wi-Fi Range With A Homemade Parabolic Reflector

YouTube - Wifi Signal Booster for less than $1 New!

YouTube - Building A Parabolic WiFi Booster (long winded)

If you use a USB adapter, get an extension USB cable and make a parabolic dish for it. Grab a rounded bottom bowl (the bigger the better). Layer the outside with 3-4 layers of foil, remove from bowl. Cut a hole in the bottom of the dish just big enough for the end of the extension cable. Thread the cable end through and secure it with tape, plug in your adapter and cable (make sure no foil touches the adapter's connector). Play around with aiming it for the best signal, and then secure it in that position with tape.

If you had to rate an internet speed and put them in categories what this be:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 51140 kbps (6392.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1460 kbps (182.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

This is my colleges using
Speakeasy - Speed Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom