How To Setup Gmail In External Mail Clients Properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
How To Setup Gmail In External Mail Clients Properly

Everton from Connected Internet send me an initiation to a new Google Apps account for our news site Windows 7 News. It basically was there to be able to access a mail account for the domain. It was not a huge problem to set it up and I was able to access the account online. What I really wanted though was to set it up in my mail client Thunderbird as well to be able to send and receive mails for that email address.
I had some troubles in the past setting up POP3 and SMTP access for Gmail and a quick check on the Internet revealed that many users had similar difficulties. It actually took me 20 minutes to setup the new account in the email client Thunderbird correctly so that it would receive and send emails using Gmail's servers.
While the following guide will visualize the settings in Thunderbird it can easily be adopted for other mail clients. The important parts are the server settings and not the menus.
POP3 access has to be enabled in the Gmail interface before anyone can even think of adding a Gmail account to a software email client. This is done by logging into the web interface of Gmail and clicking on the Settings link in the upper right corner next to the email address.

A menu with multiple tabs will open. Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. Checking the Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded) entry and clicking on Save Settings will enable POP3 access for the Gmail account. If that would not be done the server would simply refuse the connection.
Everthing is set in Gmail, now it is time to setup the email client. Here are the general parameters:
Incoming server: pop3.gmail.com
Port: 995
User name: full email address
Secure Connection: SSL
Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587
Secure Connection: TLS
User name: full email address

The main culprit are the port numbers and the secure connection settings. If you have any questions or difficulties setting this up let us know. It would also be nice to hear if other email clients use different names for the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom