How to set up network passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom0106

Beta member
I have 2 computers running XP home linked together through Linksys, I am able to access AOL on both computers, but I can not do anything else, i can see the 2nd computer under workgroup's, but when I click on it, i get a message stating I do not have permission to access it. I have been told I have to long onto the network through a password, i don't know how to set this up, thanks!

well basiclly if you want to access the other computer, you are going to set up certain areas of that computer with access for that computer. so you are going to either have to set up accounts on that computer, bothcomputers or just set up file sharing for easy access to one or more directories

chesman said:
well basiclly if you want to access the other computer, you are going to set up certain areas of that computer with access for that computer. so you are going to either have to set up accounts on that computer, bothcomputers or just set up file sharing for easy access to one or more directories

How do I do that?

i just received that same exact error message with a windows 98 machine i was fixing for a friend of mine. the cause was that they had zonealarm firewall and security on their machine.

your problem is most likely from winXP firewall being enabled. to disable winXP firewall go to your control panel and click the network connections.

once there right click on your "local area connection" or whichever one you use to connect to your network. when you right click it you will get a pop up menu, choose properties. go to the advanced tab and uncheck the box to enable winXP firewall.

also if you have any other firewalls like mcaffee or noton or anything in the system tray located at the very bottom right corner of your desktop, you must either enable them to share files and folders on your network or use IPX/ SPX to share files and folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom