how to re-install windows without CD after formatting

bigdan

Daemon Poster
My father's received an old computer from one of my cousins. There's a lot of junk on it from the past so he'd like to format it.

So first question, should one format is or just delete all the other stuff? I'm guessing formatting is better as having a clean disk might be faster. I dont know much about this stuff but I know my computer is faster after de-fragmenting.

Second question, if I do format it, how do I re-install Windows? We didn't receive a CD with it. As far as I know its a legal copy, so that's fine, but how to go about the install?

Thanks
Dan

What version of Windows does he have? XP? Windows 7? Windows 8? Verify with the license sticker on the side of the case what version the license is for.

And what edition of the OS? I.e., Home Premium, Pro, etc.

Does this pc have a COA sticker on it with the OEM key number?
use that if you can or get a key finder program like this one:
ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server
Back up all your data if there's anything you would want.
You did not say whet version of windows you have so I can not make a recommendation, but if it's XP then do not waste your time and trouble messing with that....it's no longer supported

Edit: Ninja'd

What version of Windows does he have? XP? Windows 7? Windows 8? Verify with the license sticker on the side of the case what version the license is for.

And what edition of the OS? I.e., Home Premium, Pro, etc.

I right-clicked on Computer to find Windows 7 Home Premium.

I dont see anything on the side of the case but in the bottom right-hand corner (when the laptop is open) there's a Windows 7 sticker. Not sure if that's a license sticker or not, as it doesnt match anything I'm seeing on google images for license sticker. (I'm seeing this sticker - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yJ0kpoyPL._SY300_.jpg - rather than this one - http://i.stack.imgur.com/VHF3U.gif)

Does this pc have a COA sticker on it with the OEM key number?
use that if you can or get a key finder program like this one:
ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server
Back up all your data if there's anything you would want.
You did not say whet version of windows you have so I can not make a recommendation, but if it's XP then do not waste your time and trouble messing with that....it's no longer supported

Edit: Ninja'd

Similar to my previous post, when I search for what a COA looks like I get stuff like this - http://i.stack.imgur.com/VHF3U.gif - which I'm not seeing. I do see this - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yJ0kpoyPL._SY300_.jpg - not sure if that counts?

Btw is formatting necessary or can I just delete stuff?

Thanks
Dan

Sorry to bug you guys again!

I went to the Microsoft page and ran a program to check whether my copy is genuine, it is. And assuming the Product ID is the only thing I need once I re-install Windows, I have that from Control Panel / System (the same place I checked the windows version).

Now, if I have that but I dont have an installer or anything, what do I do about that? I do have another computer on which I could download an installer, if that exists. Can I copy that to a flash drive and use that to install?

EDIT -

I went to the link Joe C provided to get my product key, and then used that to try to download a new copy of Windows from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery
but I got an error. I wasnt sure why. So I tried this from my primary computer and got the same error. Then I compared the product key that this program gave me versus the sticker, and I see this program gives the wrong product key for some reason. SO we're back to square 1.

Edit 2 - earlier I was using a program called ProduKey. Now I just tried something called Belarc Advisor, and Magical Jelly Bean to get my product key. All 3 are giving the same key, but it doesnt match the sticker underneath my computer. What on earth's going on here??? And I also cant use this key to download Windows from the link above.

Last edited:
Sorry to bug you guys again!

I went to the Microsoft page and ran a program to check whether my copy is genuine, it is. And assuming the Product ID is the only thing I need once I re-install Windows, I have that from Control Panel / System (the same place I checked the windows version).
Product ID =/= Product Key. You need the product key, not the product ID (this won't be enterable in the Product Key box). There should be a COA sticker somewhere physically on the computer.

Now, if I have that but I dont have an installer or anything, what do I do about that? I do have another computer on which I could download an installer, if that exists. Can I copy that to a flash drive and use that to install?
Check your PM's.

EDIT -

I went to the link Joe C provided to get my product key, and then used that to try to download a new copy of Windows from here:
Microsoft Software Recovery
but I got an error. I wasnt sure why.
For Windows 7, that link doesnt' work with OEM copies of WIndows - only retail copies.

So I tried this from my primary computer and got the same error. Then I compared the product key that this program gave me versus the sticker, and I see this program gives the wrong product key for some reason. SO we're back to square 1.

Edit 2 - earlier I was using a program called ProduKey. Now I just tried something called Belarc Advisor, and Magical Jelly Bean to get my product key. All 3 are giving the same key, but it doesnt match the sticker underneath my computer. What on earth's going on here??? And I also cant use this key to download Windows from the link above.[/QUOTE]

Those keyfinders are probably reading the generic OEM key that was used to install the OS from the factory. You'll need to use the key that's on the COA sticker on the computer in order to re-activate Windows.

The sticker will look a bit like this: http://photos.tradeholding.com/attach/hash29/179229/win7_home_prem.jpg

The Product Key that ProduKey finds may well be different to the Product ID on the sticker, if the PC is pre-built by a manufacturer (HP, Dell etc) then it will have been activated at the factory using a volume licence. The product key on the sticker will still work though if you reinstall the machine.

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice that carnage beat me to it...

Those keyfinders are probably reading the generic OEM key that was used to install the OS from the factory. You'll need to use the key that's on the COA sticker on the computer in order to re-activate Windows.

If still didn't get the license key, the last way will be to make a system image from other computer, and do a "restore system to different hardware" with acronis true image or easeus todo backup. But this is not recommended unless you got no other option.

Back
Top Bottom