How to prevent online applications from getting information about my device

gib88

Baseband Member
Hello,

I was reading Tiktok's privacy policy the other day and it says this:

"Technical Information we collect about you. We collect certain information about the device you use to access the Platform, such as your IP address, user agent, mobile carrier, time zone settings, identifiers for advertising purposes, model of your device, the device system, network type, device IDs, your screen resolution and operating system, app and file names and types, keystroke patterns or rhythms, battery state, audio settings and connected audio devices. Where you log-in from multiple devices, we will be able to use your profile information to identify your activity across devices. We may also associate you with information collected from devices other than those you use to log-in to the Platform."

https://www.tiktok.com/legal/privacy-policy-row?lang=en

So I'm wondering if there is a way to protect myself from online applications (Tiktok in this case but not just Tiktok) gathering information about my device. I know I can use a VPN service to hide my IP, and I do use a VPN service, but that won't protect me from online applications getting information like file names and types, keystroke patterns or rhythms, battery state, etc. Is there a way to stop online applications from getting this information from my device?

The best this you can do is not to use tik tok. The Chinese Communists Party can not spy on you if you do not use it.....Your life will continue to exist without it!

I know, but it will break my daughter's heart. And she's a creator, not just a consumer, so I don't want to crush her creativity. I want to have my cake and eat it too, let her have her platform to exercise her talents and build confidence without allowing a large corporation to exploit her (our) private information.

Make your own home server and use it, then you can avoid or block some things, but not everything.
But the best thing you can do is don't use the internet and it won't change your daughter's talents in any way.

Before you install an app, here’s what you can do to better protect your privacy:

Use official app stores. To reduce the risk of installing potentially harmful apps, download apps only from official app stores, such as your device’s manufacturer or operating system app store. Also, research the developer before installing an app.
Know what information the app will be able to access. Before you download an app, read the app’s privacy policy to see how your data will be used or if your data will be shared. Is the policy vague about how the app will share your data? If it is, or if you’re not comfortable with how your information could be shared, you might want to find another app.
Check out the permissions. To gain access to information like your location or contacts or to get access to features like your camera and microphone, apps need your permission. You may be asked to give permission when you first download the app, or at the time the app first tries to access that information or feature. Pay close attention to the permissions the app requests.

Greetings,
Peter

You may find the app's icon on your home screen. The icon for the app you want to change is touched and held. Select Permissions > Location from the Info icon. Select from Always, Just while using the app, Always ask, or Never.

For desktop computers, use Brave browser; it's superior to other browsers in protecting your privacy. On the other side, using the internet without providing any info is like a double-edged sword; if you don't provide info, some other ill-mannered users can do the same, and the internet will be a much more unsafe environment than it is now.
Also imo, the platform is not spying on you as a person(your credentials or address), but they do track your behaviour on the platform, what you click on, and what your interests are, just for the sole purpose of selling you a product. That's how social media platforms work. They collect data about you as a buyer(which you give them with your consent), and when a marketer pays for a marketing campaign, they target you if you match the buying persona for the product they sell. So do you think you can use their platform and they don't monetize on you? I don't think so!

Preventing online applications from accessing information about your device requires taking a few precautions:
  1. Be selective about the apps you download: Before downloading any app, read its privacy policy and terms of service carefully. Look for apps that don't require access to your device's location, camera, microphone, or other sensitive data.
  2. Use a VPN: A virtual private network (VPN) can mask your device's IP address and location, making it difficult for apps to track you.
  3. Turn off location services: Many apps require access to your location to function properly. However, you can disable location services for all or specific apps in your device's settings.
  4. Disable app permissions: Many apps ask for permission to access your device's camera, microphone, contacts, and other sensitive information. You can disable these permissions in your device's settings.
  5. Use privacy-focused browsers: Some browsers, such as Brave and Tor, are designed to protect your privacy by blocking trackers and other online snoops.
By following these precautions, you can help prevent online applications from accessing information about your device and protect your privacy.

I think even if you get a new IP address, they still know what kind of PC or phone you're using from the user field agent. So it's hard to tell fibs. But you could just get a cheap phone, and start anew.

Back
Top Bottom