How to Overclock

BSOD1

Baseband Member
How does it work, what obvious precautions come with it? Been interested in doing it, but i really don't know the benifits/risks, so can someone enlighten me

Hi,

What are you intrested in overclocking?

I overclock my video card (Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro) a bit but not too much, because i'm a bit worried of damaging it, or even killing it completly.
So there are risks, depending on how much you overclock.

You can of course minimise the risks by making sure that you have sufficent cooling ( a very important factor) to make sure what you are overclocking is not getting too hot.
If you are not careful in how hot it is getting, you could easily decrease the lifespan/damage/ or even kill what you are overclocking. As long as you are careful though, I don't see a problem in it, even if its just to experiement a bit :)

My card is running on stock cooling (Original fan), and I can increase it only a bit before i start getting artifacts on the screen... lol, but I could easily add a new more powerful fan, and be getting to XT+ clock speeds, so it shows how much of a difference a bit of heat can produce...

The benefits are more FPS in games if its a video card. In a CPU, it would be faster, and again maybe more FPS in games.

Hope i have enlightened you lol
Kage

so if you want to overclock your cpu, it is basically making it work faster and getting better speeds. It creates more heat though. Just make sure you have very good cooling if you want to overclock a lot.

the processor temp is hovering around 86 degrees F, what do you guys think is the max, buy the way, the max i could overclock is 3.6 ghz, don't plan on doing that at the moment, but.....

I'd say the temperature you should be worried about then and should dive from the pc lol...jk
is approx 90-100 degrees celcius(Thats when you should start to think about better cooling), dont know what that is in farenheit. Pentiums though do have protection to heat, and AMDs well... dont as much lol...
If a Pentium gets too hot, later ones will just slow down the clock rate until it reaches a safe level and so you're CPU stays intact! AMD as far as I can tell had problems with its protection feature and still burned!!! Prob is fixed with later models though... I hope

Hope I have helped
Kage

Kage said:
I'd say the temperature you should be worried about then and should dive from the pc lol...jk
is approx 90-100 degrees celcius(Thats when you should start to think about better cooling), dont know what that is in farenheit. Pentiums though do have protection to heat, and AMDs well... dont as much lol...
If a Pentium gets too hot, later ones will just slow down the clock rate until it reaches a safe level and so you're CPU stays intact! AMD as far as I can tell had problems with its protection feature and still burned!!! Prob is fixed with later models though... I hope

Hope I have helped
Kage

yuo sure it's Fahenheit and not celsius. That is pretty high for celsius

That is only an approximate value, that came from looking at different sites oppinions but i'd say that in celsius, you are risking of really damaging the CPU/killing it, and thats what i meant really, and so at the point you should definetly turn off the pc and change the heatsink/fan lol. I'd say 55-65 is more a safe range in celsius for processors to run at

As i said though, you'll find pentiums have really good protection against that, so i wouldn't be too worried. If it is too hot, you'd more likely be suffering from lower clock speeds than damage.

If you go to Control Panel, System, just check that the clock rate is running as it sould be, and hasn't dropped but i wouldn't think at you're temperature it would have started the protection feature yet at all :)

Hope I have Helped
Kage

Kage said:
That is only an approximate value, that came from looking at different sites oppinions but i'd say that in celsius, you are risking of really damaging the CPU/killing it, and thats what i meant really, and so at the point you should definetly turn off the pc and change the heatsink/fan lol. I'd say 55-65 is more a safe range in celsius for processors to run at

As i said though, you'll find pentiums have really good protection against that, so i wouldn't be too worried. If it is too hot, you'd more likely be suffering from lower clock speeds than damage.

If you go to Control Panel, System, just check that the clock rate is running as it sould be, and hasn't dropped but i wouldn't think at you're temperature it would have started the protection feature yet at all :)

Hope I have Helped
Kage

jesus, my heat is only about 36 celsius, guess i got gently overclock it to about 40 celsius and see what i get, but how do you overclock, you go in BIOS, right

Back
Top Bottom