how to obtain SQL Server FullText Search service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobLewiston

In Runtime
I did a full installation of SQL Server 2008 Express. Looking at Add / Remove Programs, I see the following pertinent programs installed:
SQL Server 2008
SQL Server 2008 Browser
SQL Server 2008 Management Objects
SQL Server 2008 Native Client
SQL Server 2008 Setup Support File (English)
SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Design Tools English
SQL Server Compact 3.5 English
SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard 1.3
SQL Server VSS Writer
SQL Server System CLR Types

And of course I also have installed .Net Framework 3.5 SP1.

I'm now trying to obtain sample SQL databases. To this end, and by the advice of others, I'm trying to install SQL2008.AdventureWorks_All_Databases.x86.msi. But whether I try to install "Sample Files" or "Create AdventureWorks DBs", I keep getting the following error:

PrepInstance() failed for MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS.
The following features are missing: Full Text Search

Running services.msc shows the following local services (but not SQL Server FullText Search):
SQL Active Directory Helper Service
SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)
SQL Server Agent (SQLEXPRESS)
SQL Server Browser
SQL Server VSS Writer

Does anyone know how I can obtain the FullText Search service for SQL Server 2008 Express?

office politics:

The link you gave me, SQL Server 2008 - Installing the AdventureWorks Sample Databases Stuart Cox's Tech Punch (SQL Server 2008 - Installing the AdventureWorks Sample Databases Stuart Cox's Tech Punch) points me to another link,
How To Enable FILESTREAM Feature On SQL Server 2008 (How To Enable FILESTREAM Feature On SQL Server 2008 Stuart Cox's Tech Punch), which says:

To enable FILESTREAM feature on SQL Server 2008:

Open SQL Server Configuration Manager (Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2008 > Configuration Tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager)

Although I have all the SQL Server components I've listed above, SQL doesn't appear on my Programs menu or on my desktop. I don't have any idea why. I could try to guess which .exe on my hard drive is the correct one and run it, but I may guess wrong and somehow cause myself real problems that way. Any suggestions about what I should do to enable FILESTREAM in SQL, as well as to get SQL on my Programs menu?

office politics:

I reinstalled SQL Server. It appeared in the Programs menu. I went into SQL Server Configuration Manager to enable FILESTREAM in order to in turn enable "Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher Service". SQL Server Configuration Manager said FILESTREAM was already enabled. Thinking that perhaps FILESTREAM had just been enabled on the reinstallation of SQL Server, I clicked OK (not cancel) and again tried to install AdventureWorks, but it again said that the Full Text Search feature is missing.

Plus, when I reinstalled SQL Server, I had to chose the SQL Server with Tools install option (which I had chosen the first time) in order to reinstall it, because when I tried the SQL Server Advanced Features install option first, the Install Wizard, which actually downloads files for the install, said on each of 3 attempts that those files appeared to be corrupted.

This is certainly getting to be a royal pain in the ***. I do appreciate your help, but I confess I'm starting to get a little discouraged. But what can I do? I need this capability.

run this query

Code:
SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('IsFullTextInstalled')

SQL SERVER - 2008 - Download and Install Samples Database AdventureWorks 2005 - Detail Tutorial Journey to SQL Authority with Pinal Dave

on January 5, 2009 at 12:49 pm Salil
Hi,

The Full Text Search service was stopped , I had to enable it from the
Sql Server Configuration Manager -> Sql Server Services -> Sql Full Text Filter Deamon Launcher ( MSSQLSERVER ).

I installed SQL2008.AdventureWorks_All_Databases.x86.msi and it worked for me.

Best Regards,
Salil.

How to install Adventure Works SQL DW database and Analysis Services 2005/2008 (SSAS) Sample database and project-SSAS

A3: For Analysis Services 2008 (Sample Refresh 1). Steps if on the server you DO NOT have full text search enabled:

office politics:

This SQL Server 2008 Express install won't allow me to install Full Text Search because it's demanding a valid account number and password, which I don't have.

I really appreciate the extraordinary lengths you're going to in order to help me, but so far I just haven't neen able to get this issue resolved. I wish I could offer suggestions about how someone could help me, or even pose an intelligent question, but at this point I'm baffled. :confused:

I have tried to install AW on SQL 2008 express so many times and tried to enable full text in several different ways, nothing worked. Brought my laptop in to my instructor for SQL training and he could not get it to work either. Never had any issues with 2005 so I am thinking of going back to it.

I have tried to install AW on SQL 2008 express so many times and tried to enable full text in several different ways, nothing worked. Brought my laptop in to my instructor for SQL training and he could not get it to work either. Never had any issues with 2005 so I am thinking of going back to it.

Is it possible the service was not instsalled at all?
Look here: Microsoft SQL Server Product Samples: Database - Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom