How to Lock Down A Computer?

semtex

In Runtime
Hey there,

I'm building a stand for a trade show for the company i work for and we're going to have a few computer terminals there in a sort of internet cafe style for customers to browse our company website. What i don't want is random people just coming onto the stand to check their mails or browse the net!

So what i want is basically what you get when you press F11 on internet explorer, but i want to prevent people from using anything else on the machine, so internet explorer cannot be minimised or closed, other web addresses can't be typed in, and the start menu can't be accessed. How can this be done?

Cheers.

Our school have things like that, but think about it, if people know what they are doing, all they have to do is Ctrl+Shift+ESC, then the task manager is open, then they can do anything..

Actually, just noticed that you can lock that out, im sure there is way round it though, theres a way round everything.

07mackenzie said:
lol that can always be a bit risky...

Like I said, a kiosk software is definitely the easiest way to go:
http://www.dirfile.com/freeware/kiosk-cafe.htm

freeware.

07, you're right dude, thats exactly what i'm after! thanks very much for your help. I've got plenty left in the budget to buy the software so thats fantastic. Will post some pics of the stand at the show, which is in september. It's gonna be sooo cool! Now there's nowthing to worry about. Even got beer on tap now, for 'hospitality' purposes of course!

semtex said:
Hey there,

I'm building a stand for a trade show for the company i work for and we're going to have a few computer terminals there in a sort of internet cafe style for customers to browse our company website. What i don't want is random people just coming onto the stand to check their mails or browse the net!

So what i want is basically what you get when you press F11 on internet explorer, but i want to prevent people from using anything else on the machine, so internet explorer cannot be minimised or closed, other web addresses can't be typed in, and the start menu can't be accessed. How can this be done?

Cheers.

Why don't you also have a router with a strict only allow certain IP addresses rule?

These IP addresses would be yoru primary and secondary DNS server as well as your comapny website. Any other traffic would be BLOCKED.

Back
Top Bottom