How To Install Win XP?

Frustrato

Baseband Member
I wish to do a fresh re-install of Windows XP on my system but am having trouble remembering the precise order of things, as I have observed during past installations.

You insert the Windows CD and reboot? Is that right? Well, the computer is just loading up Windows, regardless of whether or not the disk is present.

In case there is something I've overlooked, please could you advise me on how to set my BIOS to read from the Windows CD?

Last edited:
When you initially turn your PC on, you should have a screen saying 'Enter Setup' and perhaps 'Boot Options' or 'Boot Sequence' or similar.

It might be F12, but it should say, tap the corresponding key, then use the arrows and enter to select your CD/DVD Drive.

Writing will come up saying 'click any key to boot from CD/DVD,' so click any key you want, Enter is great!

Wait for the Setup to load, follow the instructions on screen, if it asks you if you want to repair, click 'ESC.'

When it gets to the bit where you pick partitions, if you want to use the full drive for XP, delete any partitions on there, select using the arrow keys, delete using the letter D, it may ask you to confirm a couple of times, do so.

Click enter when all you have left is 'Unpartitioned' or 'Unallocated' space or however it is said.

Then do full format, better than quick.

Got another PC to use so you can download the drivers for when the installation has finished?

Thanks for the reply, joedaman.

All I know for real is that 'delete' is the key that allows me to enter setup. By 'setup', I mean the blue screen where the options for CMOS and BIOS are. The initial screen flies up so fast, there's no chance of me reading it, so I am unable to see any other instructions (if there are any).

In BIOS I've set the boot sequence to CD/DVD first and no other drive selected. In CMOS the CD/DVD drive is set as primary master and no other drives are selected. I know that sounds wrong to me, because if the primary master is not set to C: then how on earth is the computer loading up Windows?!

I don't understand this because I vaguely remember, when setting it up originally, a lot more than this happened when the Windows CD was inserted in the drive. I feel sure I've neglected to set something correctly somewhere. I even got to a certain stage with it last night, but decided to call it off. I don't understand what could be wrong now.

You should (depending on how its plugged in)

Have at least two items on the devices list in the BIOS, thats strange that your Harddrive isn't located in the BIOS, have you inadvertently disabled it?

Back
Top Bottom