How to install Raid 0?

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello,

I managed to find a few guides online on how install raid 0, but most of them were at least 2-3 years old, not sure if I should trust them :D

I have the fallowing MOBO “DFI LP UT P35 T2R” and I have 3 of “WD Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB HDD” I read somewhere that MOBO's have locked & unlocked SATA ports and that I should connect the HDD's for raid 0 to the locked SATA ports. Is that true? Or was it something from an old guide that doesn't apply to current MOBO's?

I don't have an OS installed on my PC just et, and I want to know the step-by-step procedure on how to install a raid 0 set up :D Please keep in mind that I am kind of new to all this. I will really appreciate this if someone can help me out here.

Thanks

**EDIT**

I want to have the OS on raid 0

Forget about locked/un-locked SATA ports.

Ok. Your Mobo has 2 RAID controllers. One for 2 PATA (IDE) drives and the other supports 6 SATA drives.

You can usually access both controllers via a non-GUI version, before your OS loads, and a GUI version which you control in Windows. You should have the software on a CD that comes with the Mobo that will install the RAID software in Windows. Although you can use the non-GUI that you access usually by pressing a Function button during start up.

With the above understood setting up a striped array, or RAID 0 array, is simple. Just follow the on screen instructions.

:)

Remenzi thanks for a quick reply.

I'm at work now and unfortunately can try nothing now, but I'm trying to get the exact procedure so that when I get home I wound waist any time.

Yes I also noticed the 2 different collar ports, didn't know the difference, nwo I know its (IDE). Because I have 3 HDD i will be using SATA just so all of them will be on the same ports. Can I just put the CD in to install the RAID software when it will ask me for "3rd party drivers" during the windows install? Or do I need to have them on a floppy? I'm really trying to get step by step procedure here :D

No worries.

Having a look at something now.

If you want to install the OS on the RAID 0 array thats a little different.

I'll get back to ya.....

No worries.

Having a look at something now.

If you want to install the OS on the RAID 0 array thats a little different.

I'll get back to ya.....

Yes that is exactly what I want to do! :D To have the OS on raid 0 (I edited my post)

Quick question wile u are here,

I am trying to find the ATA Raid controller drivers for this model "WD6400AAKS" of hdd that I have, so that i can copy it to the floppy drive. I cant find it on the WD website.... This is the full name of my hdd (Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB)

http://support.wdc.com/download/

If u click the "2nd gen SerialATA WD" The closes one is the 500AAKS HDD and I need the 640AAKS. Should I just download the serial ATA from the "2nd gen Serial ATA WD" section?

Ok. You don't need drivers for the actual Hard Disks. You need the drivers for the On-Board controllers.

The driver software that you will need to copy to the floppy disk should be on the CD that came with the Mobo. Pop the Support/Driver CD into the drive of a working PC. Let me know whats on the CD.

If you don't have the CD check this:

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downl...5497&CATEGORY_TYPE=null&STATUS_FLAG=A&SITE=US

Keep me updated.

Back
Top Bottom