How to install older windows without using dvd/cd

projectfear22

Baseband Member
Hi there
I'm having lag with windows 7 and I wanted to go back to xp
since I heard that Windows 2000 is pretty similar to xp but a bit faster I'd like to install that one
so I got the setup files, but how can I install it on windows 7, it says that I have a higher version so I guess I'd need to do it via boot but my cd burner is having problems and I can't do it because of that.

Is there some other way?
I hear you can format your usb or smth (something) and use it to install it?
what does formatting the usb mean?
can it be done that way? if yes how? and are there other ways?

Also same question goes for windows 8 since it says that it can't identify if I'm ready to install it so I'd have to try boot but.. cd burner.. and yeah same question for xp (guess the answer would be the same for all) (just keeping more options but priority is 2000)

take a look at this thread as well please
http://www.techist.com/forums/f6/could-anyone-do-tiny-voice-acting-part-help-friend-please-275231/

p.s. does anyone have a british accent here? my friend could use a voice actor for a video on yt?

XP and below aren't supported by MS anymore, so I honestly wouldn't go back to them.

What do you mean by you're "experiencing lag" in Win7? Are you sure you just don't need to do a fresh install because of too much bloat? Malware? What's your hardware specs that you're running Win7 on?

XP and below aren't supported by MS anymore, so I honestly wouldn't go back to them.

What do you mean by you're "experiencing lag" in Win7? Are you sure you just don't need to do a fresh install because of too much bloat? Malware? What's your hardware specs that you're running Win7 on?

I don't really care about security that much, I don't use credit cards online anyway

the lag is because my pc can barely handle 7, I had xp and tried 7 to see how it is but it lags, my pc is from 2006 or 2007 that's why, bad hardware i must say

I don't really care about security that much, I don't use credit cards online anyway
It's not just "credit cards online" - it's everythingin general. Even if you don't input any kind of personal information, the system could be hijacked and used as part of a botnet that feeds a bigger problem and causes other people issues.

the lag is because my pc can barely handle 7, I had xp and tried 7 to see how it is but it lags, my pc is from 2006 or 2007 that's why, bad hardware i must say
Just saying the year of the PC doesn't really mean much. As long as it has at least a Pentium 4 and 2-4GB of RAM, Win7 should work fine.

If you're that concerned about performance...then switch to a lightweight Linux Distro, then you don't have to worry about security as much either.

As others have said downgrading at this moment in time is a really bad idea.
1. Drivers - your PC is new enough that some drivers on the hardware wouldn't be available for XP or 2000. You may get lucky but i wouldn't chance it
2. Security - MS no longer pushes security updates to 2000 or XP. This has NOTHING to do with credit cards or making online transactions. WHat it means is when there is a security hold found in an OS MS will send out a patch to fix the issue. This no longer happens with XP or 2000. This opens the door for TONS of exploits.
3. If performance is your concern we need to look at system specific items to see what can be done. Turning off specific services, GUI settings, startup items, themes, page file - you get the idea. Lots can be done to help.

My bet is you haven't reinstalled windows since 2007 which is why you probably are experiences lag. There is probably lots of startup items, software and things running in your background slowing your PC down.

Can we have your system specs please ?
I don't think downgrading back to XP will benefit you at all.

My computer came with nothing and it then had XP installed, XP worked perfectly unlike 7 which lags and even prevents me to play games I could've played on XP ((xp draining pc + game draining pc = game still not lagging, 7 classical theme draining pc + game draining pc = lag))

I used xp for long years even when 7 was at it's mid years of release, but then I wanted to try 7 :/

XP suits all my needs, it is simple to use, not over encumbered by widgets and gadgets (whats the difference anyway), and has a simple design

now I'm a little scared for that security thing but I've used xp when 7 was in mid years of release shouldn't they have had stopped supporting it by then

Processor AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1150, ~2.0GHz

RAM 1536MB RAM
Page File: 1267MB used, 1546MB available

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
DAC type: integrated RAMDAC
approx. total memory: 570MB

Display: 1440 x 900 (32bit)

It's not just "credit cards online" - it's everythingin general. Even if you don't input any kind of personal information, the system could be hijacked and used as part of a botnet that feeds a bigger problem and causes other people issues.

Just saying the year of the PC doesn't really mean much. As long as it has at least a Pentium 4 and 2-4GB of RAM, Win7 should work fine.

If you're that concerned about performance...then switch to a lightweight Linux Distro, then you don't have to worry about security as much either.

now I'm a lil scared lol, but look at my reply to Marshall

well it has not even close specs to that

(what is usb formatting and can that help install any OS in general?)

As others have said downgrading at this moment in time is a really bad idea.
1. Drivers - your PC is new enough that some drivers on the hardware wouldn't be available for XP or 2000. You may get lucky but i wouldn't chance it
2. Security - MS no longer pushes security updates to 2000 or XP. This has NOTHING to do with credit cards or making online transactions. WHat it means is when there is a security hold found in an OS MS will send out a patch to fix the issue. This no longer happens with XP or 2000. This opens the door for TONS of exploits.
3. If performance is your concern we need to look at system specific items to see what can be done. Turning off specific services, GUI settings, startup items, themes, page file - you get the idea. Lots can be done to help.

My bet is you haven't reinstalled windows since 2007 which is why you probably are experiences lag. There is probably lots of startup items, software and things running in your background slowing your PC down.

Nope I've reinstalled my windows plenty of times, I'm even using 7 on classical theme, its not ultra lagging but does lag plenty of times, not right now though (might be cause I've moved stuff from C disk to others who knows but it will lag I know because it did a few times). It especially ruins my gaming experience as I was able to run cod4 without lag on low or medium low when playing on xp but on 7 I can't even run it on low

I've cleaned my pc with Advanced systemcare, adremover, malwarebytes, avast and such

look at other replies for more info :) tnx for reply

Back
Top Bottom