How to get TV reception on my computer

You won't be able to plug your cable box into your computer through a HDMI-DVI. Video cards can only put out signal, not receive them.

EDIT: Again, I misinterpreted the question. You can use a DVI-HDMI converter cable to plug into *SOME* monitors. Check the I/O panel on the back of the monitor for HDMI ports. Straight DVI-I is probably your best bet. Cheaper than HDMI and puts out just as good a signal.

well, i dont really care if the signal goes thru my computer or not

Cant it function as a normal television and also act as a monitor for my computer when I'm not watching tv?

I'm sorry that I can't keep up with you here. By "it" you mean a computer monitor act as a display for television and your computer. Yes, I suppose. Just make sure the monitor you are looking at has the port type you are sending out from your cable box or that you have the appropriate converter for it. You might have to switch the cables yourself each time you switch between TV and the computer if it doesn't have multiple ports or display switching like actual TV's do.

My monitor, the Spectre Naga II X20, has several video inputs.

VGA, DVI, RCA, SVIDEO

So find a monitor that has various inputs, then you can hook up your ATSC tuner box or cable box to it.

Hell it can even do picture in picture lol.

Svideo to component cable splitter have given me great results with 1080i. And then there's DVI-I to HDMI converters which give you 1080p-1200p HD quality.

It's not a S-Video output if it can support high definition content. S-Video is only limited to standard definition.

Keep forgetting that, thanks for the correction. I don't remember what it's called when it looks like Svideo but actually isn't. Svideo is limited to 480i.

i hate tv tuners. I can't figure out how to put it together. got one for christmas still in the box.

Back
Top Bottom