how to fix my hd

faith4

In Runtime
hello, i just found my old harddrive hidden in a box at the basement, and try to put it in my pc and try to get it up and running, but it seems when i put the hd in when my pc is off and start the pc, the pc starts very slowly, this old hd is not my os files are, so its not the main hd, and how do i fix this hd ?
the thing is i dont have a clue wat the problem is.
the pc starts and stuck at the window screen with the blue bar going from left to right for like 3mins and then it lets me in the login screen, and the pc is a bit laggy with that hd in the pc.
i really need help.

Is the drive jumpered as slave? Where on the cable is it attached? Are the ribbon cable and power plug firmly attached?

It may just be a bad drive and needs to be tossed unless there is a warranty still in effect for it.

A slave drive shouldn't affect the performance of your pc, I'm thinking you may have a driver conflict on one of the ide channels. Did you hook it up on the main ide channel on the same cable as your first hd, or did you put it on the secondary ide channel the same cable that would be attached to your optical drive?

Funny thing is Tommy, a bad drive will affect your PC. I once put a bad drive in my system on the IDE1 cable as slave and my computer would not boot into windows.

hmm, i didnt put out my original hd, i just place it under the original hd slot.
and all cables are hooked, i didnt do ne setups in bios menu,
i just hook up the hd and start the pc.

Atomic Rooster said:
Funny thing is Tommy, a bad drive will affect your PC. I once put a bad drive in my system on the IDE1 cable as slave and my computer would not boot into windows.
Hmm, really....I didn't think that a slave drive would do that to your pc.....good info

faith4 -
On the back of the drive next to where the IDE cable plugs in, there are a set of pins with a small jumper or two attached. That needs to be set as slave. There may be a diagram on the lable of the drive, or you can look up your drive's setting at the manufacturer's site. :D

Back
Top Bottom