How to Copy a Driver onto a cd

delllaptop

Solid State Member
Im trying to fix a friends laptop, her laptop is a DELL Inspiron 510m

I had to re-install windows xp home, and now the Ehthernet controller has a yellow ? in device manager,

first Does anyone have a link to that driver,

and 2, after I download the driver on MY pc, how do I transfer that diver that I installed on my PC onto my friends PC. I tried to copy a chipset driver Aplication from my desktop to her PC but after I transfer the cd into her PC the APP looks different, like no logo anymore,and it asks me what program to open it with, but non of the programs will open it. if you know what I mean, Please advise, thank you

Welcome to CF!

Here are the drivers:http://support.dell.com/support/dow...&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=86531

On your PC, what version of Windows are you running? When you copy the drivers that you download to a CD, you have to subsequently burn the files to the CD for them to be on the disc. Right click and hold the mouse button then drag the driver file to the CD and then select Copy Here. Then burn the CD. My guess is, you burned a shortcut to the file, probably not but that's my guess.

Thank you for your reply,im using Windows XP home, How do I burn the Application file to the cd, it only gives me an option to write files to cd.

Yes, I have the software ImgBurn, how does one burn an application to a cd using Imgburn, becuase I thought its only used to burn photos and such.

Ok, I just tried to use Imgburn to copy the files to a cd and when I put the cd into the other pc im still getting the same problem,

I think Im only copying the shortcut like ipwn said, becuase the file size is only 9.29 KB

Do I have to install the program/Driver on my pc first before I copy the files?

[...]I think Im only copying the shortcut like ipwn said, becuase the file size is only 9.29 KB

Do I have to install the program/Driver on my pc first before I copy the files?

No, you don't need to install the driver to your PC. Just be sure that when you choose the driver file to burn to the CD it is the actual file, and not a short cut to the file.

I just test downloaded the file and it's an exe file so.... try just transferring with a USB flash drive?

I think that iPwn is saying that it would be easier to use a USB flash drive. Also, that way you won't be using up a CD. (The CD method should work, if you don't have a USB flash drive.) Let us know how it goes...

Back
Top Bottom