How to connect/map to nas4free server with ubuntu

jreidsma

Baseband Member
Hi everyone :)

I am having trouble connecting to my nas4free server with my ubuntu laptop. It is running 12.04. So far I have made the /media/nas4free directory on the laptop itself but when I try to do this step I get an error:

any help is appreciated, I may be doing this wrong as I have never done this before :rolleyes:
Code:
user@ChrUbuntu:~$ sudo mount -t cifs -o username=jreidsma //192.168.1.10/public /media/nas4free
Password: 
mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
mount error(19): No such device
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
I was wanting it so I could edit the servers hard drive or files on this laptop like I can on my windows desktop. I just don't have any experience with servers like this or setting them up with other computers.

Last edited:
Are you able to log in to the file server via the file manager? In other words, let's cross the terminal method out of the picture for the moment. Can you open Nautilus, hit CTRL + L to bring up the location bar, delete everything there, and type smb://192.168.1.10/public, what happens? Can you log in from there?

When I do that I get a popup saying:
"Could not display "smb://192.168.1.10/public/".
error: failed to mount windows share
please select another viewer and try again.

In the file manager I can go to smb://192.168.1.10 and it opens fine, but the minute I try to open the public folder it gives me issues and says I don't have permission or that it failed to mount.

Last edited:
`modprobe cifs`
and try mounting again. If not, try a reboot. From what I've seen on the net, it seems like it's happening when users update the kernel.

Personally, I would NFS share it to ubuntu.

When I do that I get a popup saying:
"Could not display "smb://192.168.1.10/public/".
error: failed to mount windows share
please select another viewer and try again.

In the file manager I can go to smb://192.168.1.10 and it opens fine, but the minute I try to open the public folder it gives me issues and says I don't have permission or that it failed to mount.

It makes me wonder if the share is set up properly. You wouldn't be able to hit that IP address if Samba was not at least functioning, but the fact that it's giving you a permission denied error suggests there's something else here.

Nas4Free is a fork of FreeNAS, something I used recently. I have to admit I felt the permissions and storage setup felt a little wonky, even for me (not to toot my own horn) who has set up network shares on dozens of Linux servers with his eyes shut. It took a lot of experimentation before I got it working properly.

What I would do is just go over each step with the network share. Look at the permissions of the folder in question as well. If the folder is root:root with 770 permissions, then you'd get locked out immediately, even if the Samba share was set up properly. The unix (rwx) octal permissions must be set up in a way that allow you to connect AND you have to grant yourself access through Samba as well. If any one of these two paths fall short, you're locked out.

I did not change a thing on the server but now not even my windows machine can get onto the drive. It gives me "is not accessible access denied" on the windows computer. It was working and that was how I was uploading stuff onto the server but now apparently my account does not have permission to do anything...

Here's the output from running smbclient from the terminal
Code:
Domain=[WORKGROUP]OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.18]  Sharename       Type           Comment ------------       ------          ------------ public             Disk            public storage IPC$               IPC             IPC Service (NAS4Free Server) Domain=[WORKGROUP]OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.18]  Server            Comment -------             ----------- MARK-PC NAS4FREE        NAS4Free Server  Workgroup      Master ------------      ------- WORKGROUP   NAS4FREE

Back
Top Bottom