how to compare processor speeds

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I'm not at all knowledgeable on how to read chip / processor speeds. I'm not even sure if the term is chip or processor haha. So when looking for a new computer I need a site that can compare these speeds.

The two I'm aware of are https://cpu.userbenchmark.com and https://www.cpubenchmark.net/. There's probably others though.

Is there a recommendation as to a site I should use? And more importantly, what data do I look for there? I really really just want to look at ONE figure, and from that I want to be able to know the performance difference. Both these sites have tons of figures and while others can try to tell me all of this data is relevant, it's not if I cant make sense of it.

Can anyone advise?

Oh and can someone explain the terminology to me? i3/i5/i7 are examples are chips or processors? can we assume i3 is always slower than an i5 slower than i7 or is an i3-7000 better than an i7-2000? this stuff is so damn complicated!!

oh one more question. is there a site where along with the chips discussed above, i can also mention the ram and type of hard disk so it can tell me total performance? because even if one chip is much better, if the slower one has more RAM and an SSD that might make a difference.

Look, Dear friend, we can't start a separate training and teaching everything from zero for you in this forum.
This has been done for almost 50 years in some computing questions and a little less in others.
Now is the time to learn yourself, to read and develop yourself. And if you have a specific question,
we or sombody else can help you to get over these questions faster.
Everything is not possible teach, but everything is possible learn.
Right now, your biggest friend is an internet search engine like Google, Bing, and more.

is not a fair question to ask which benchmarking website is good for comparisons, and what's the single metric one should use on there?

There is no way to measure or compare CPU speed or any other CPU parameter on the website or throuhg website. This is a technological parameter that can only be measured by the relevant test laboratory.
You must belive that data what is written on CPU pasport.
But the sad thing is that you ask in a way that no one can answer, not possible that there is all messed up. The reason is probably that you do not have any knowledge in this area. To get started, make the basics clear, and then look at what's already posted about your questions online, and if there's anything you don't understand, then ask and then ask very special questions about what you can't understand.
But for the data of the processors you mentioned, absolutely all the data about everyone is published on the Internet and it is available to everyone completely free of charge. Please look at them, find out, compare, do whatever you want. Then You'll probably get to know also what is CPU speed, what is frequency, etc is and more.

Hi there!

This is a big thing, but sometimes one needs just a push to start. I will try to give a quick summary.

A CPU is a package that carries chips, circuits and stuff. Including the processor(s) (some just use processor interchangeably with CPU for ease of use) and memory called cache memory that comes in levels. All those give an ultimate actual performance in how they are built and connected to each other. So the best way to know that performance, instead of saying speed, is to see actual tests. Find CPU contenders to choose from then compare them from tests. Don't rely on synthetic tests so much, look for practical software like games, renderers and compression apps.

As for same CPU titles, those are mainly tiers/grades of the same generation. i3 is an entry level, i5 is mid-range, i7 is high-end and i9 is and extreme high-end. Again, of the same generation. A 2021 i3 advanced enough to be better than many if not all 2012 i7's, for example. That's just by chance as technology advanced enough. A 2014 i3 might not necessarily be better than an 2012 i7. More generations difference makes lower end CPU's of later generations get close to beating older higher-end generations little by little.

RAM on the other hand should be in an even number of sticks (mostly 2 or 4) with a mode called dual channel activated to give the best performance. Many if not all 8GB single sticks, for example, give lower performance than two sticks of 4GB (=8GB) combined.

SSD is a storage that works in tandem with RAM and CPU somehow but generally is a separate matter. Any SSD is fast enough to make life easier, but there are difference kinds and speeds.

Now that's a push for you. Have fun :)

There is no one such metric to measuring a CPUs speed as different brands have strengths and weaknesses. Currently both mainstream companies have solid offerings that go back and forth on what their strengths and weaknesses are but at the end of the day they're all solid disregarding price. You need to know what it is you want to accomplish with your machine and chose parts with a goal or goals in mind to build for.
I tend to stick to Techpowerup and Anandtech for unbiased reviews which give you a slew of real software results you can compare.
Places like cpubench or userbench have too many variables and no control. It's like telling a group of school kids "go do this thing and report back what you got" so the results are skewed and not really valid. Plus it's a bunch of rather dull synthetic benchmarks with no real use case to compare with.

Hi there!

This is a big thing, but sometimes one needs just a push to start. I will try to give a quick summary.

A CPU is a package that carries chips, circuits and stuff. Including the processor(s) (some just use processor interchangeably with CPU for ease of use) and memory called cache memory that comes in levels. All those give an ultimate actual performance in how they are built and connected to each other. So the best way to know that performance, instead of saying speed, is to see actual tests. Find CPU contenders to choose from then compare them from tests. Don't rely on synthetic tests so much, look for practical software like games, renderers and compression apps.

thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom