How to chose a graphics card ....?

approdis

Solid State Member
Well earlier I made a post wondering what was wrong with my gf's monitor. I believe its a bad video card. So I have a few questions regarding a replacement card. Her computer is a compaq presario v2000. How do I know what card to replace it with? Also, how do I know what card to chose in general. Meaning, how do I find the right size that will match the CPU/ mother board.. IN general let's say I wante to build a computer. How do I know what graphics/ video card is meant for the right purpose that the computer will be compatible with?

THanks,
Chris

According to searches online, the v2000 is a laptop, which means you're SOL. Is this a desktop or a laptop?

If it's a laptop the graphics card is soldered on to the motherboard, you would have to take the whole thing apart and possibly replace the motherboard. You would need an external graphics card.

Yes, the lap top is a v2000... How would I be screwed; they don't make them anymore?

* graphics card that is.. I wonddr if i should buy one on e bay..

Yes, the lap top is a v2000... How would I be screwed; they don't make them anymore?

* graphics card that is.. I wonddr if i should buy one on e bay..

Probably be the best bet but what I'm saying is that you will an external one unless you want to replace the motherboard.

Probably be the best bet but what I'm saying is that you will an external one unless you want to replace the motherboard.

Cool thanks for your help! I found some on ebay..
now i have another question for curiosity; what would be the difference in buying a whole new board vs, just the individual card itself?.

I cant just connect it into the board once I get it?>

Laptops don't work like that. Desktops have a pretty generic setup so it easier to find more options for upgradability. Laptops are not made for that, that's one of the reasons I always tell people not to get a laptop unless they actually use it for portability. There's very few laptops that you can actually swap out the graphics card in and even those cards I'm sure are proprietary to that certain laptop. Every laptop is setup different, and most if not all laptops now have the graphics right on the board even if it's not integrated graphics. Since it's a problem most likely with the motherboard of the laptop, this is a good time to start looking for a new laptop. Buying a motherboard for a laptop is a huge ripoff, especially if the laptop is 4 years old or older (when it's time to upgrade the laptop anyway).

Just to give you an idea of how different each laptop is.

hcl-laptop-motherboard.jpg

31MA3MB0005.jpg

T43-915GM-a.jpg

The only thing the same between each of these laptop motherboards is that they are all green... :p

The v2000 is also way past its prime. The cost you'd blow on the motherboard for the unit would be better served for buying a new laptop, which can start as low as $299 for a new system, and go up depending on features, etc.

The v2000 is also way past its prime. The cost you'd blow on the motherboard for the unit would be better served for buying a new laptop, which can start as low as $299 for a new system, and go up depending on features, etc.

That's why he's getting an external one. But you do have a point I think it's time he upgraded ;)

When you have to resort to externals for laptops, it's time to put it out of its misery ;)

Back
Top Bottom