How to Build a Computer (Looking for Feedback)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intriguing was a good start...(just to bust your balls)... Am I looking at a BTX, M-BTX, E-ATX, ATX, M-ATX, ITX, M-ITX, Nano - ITX or PICO ITX build?

First tip keep one hand on the metal casing whenever possible to relieve static build up.
Secondly how big is a medium dip of thermal paste the accepted level is a small grain of rice. What about any oil that may be on that cpu top how would you remove that?
Thirdly don't just say use any thermal paste link them to a blog or review where the thermal paste models and brands are listed and rated.
Fourth mention the semicircle notches for cpu orientation
Fifth how do I put it in the socket (put it in and push or gently lower and allow the pins to align with the holes)
Sixth don't use an aftermarket cooler for the demo as its not standard and not all aftermarkets are connected the same. Instead use the default amd or intel cooler and then state if you have an aftermarket then read the manual twice over before connecting.
Seventh there is a standard maximum distance between the CPU fan socket and the cpu on ATX motherboards why not look it up and state it.
Eighth not all mobos are colour coded with ram slots mention check manual....
Ninth you won't short your motherboard without spacers if you put it on a non-conductive surface.
Tenth the spacers are standardized between board sizes
Eleventh the motherboard I/O plate is for prevention of dust accumulation between the high density of wires at that point not just aesthetics.
Twelfth what if my case has the psu mount at the bottom..... What if my case like my lian li actually does has multiple choices of psu placement what is preferred.
thirteenth you got lazy....... If you cant write the review properly with a camera next to you why am I helping you improve it.... You never plugged in your CD drive, HDD, motherboard
Fourteenth first pci-e slot so I can put it in a pci-e x4 then? put it in the recommended slot for you card given the instructions in the cards manual and the labeling found in the motherboard manual and written directly on the board.

Just took a five second flick through, first thing that stands out is you've got much too much thermal paste on the CPU. The reason not to put too much isn't "so it doesn't spill out the sides" either ;) it's because too much will hamper heat transfer rather than help. Nicely documented build tho!

CPU fan plugs in a 4-pin header, not 3-pin. The picture is correct, though.

Some case mount the PSU at the bottom so the fan should point upwards for them (unless the case is made to allow proper air intake from the bottom, of course).

Intriguing was a good start...(just to bust your balls)

You're not busting anyone's balls. :D I asked for the feedback! The tutorial is just a work in progress I know it isn't perfect. I'll squeeze in everything you've mentioned at some point this weekend (Graduation is Saturday might be a bit busy) and get back to you all.

Thanks,
Mike

Overall, you need to elaborate on the steps. Now that you have the hard part done you can go back and flesh it in better.

Right. My friend has my stock CPU cooler so I could possibly get it back and use that instead. I should have taken more pictures. But I would really like to pump as much information in it as possible so it's actually useful instead of just there.

Just took a five second flick through, first thing that stands out is you've got much too much thermal paste on the CPU. The reason not to put too much isn't "so it doesn't spill out the sides" either ;) it's because too much will hamper heat transfer rather than help. Nicely documented build tho!

Thanks! I'll fix that hah. I'm just a newbie. Been in computers for about 2 years. And it looks like there is a ton on there I know, but honestly it's such a thin layer. It's white too so it makes it look a lot thicker than it actually is.

The best application of thermal paste in my opinion as I just explained to someone at work:

"Using glad wrap or some other similar type of plastic, zip lock bags are a favourite, to smear paste all over both the heatspreader and base of the hsf to fill in any surface defects. Then just a rice grain at dead centre of the heatspreader, put on heatsink apply pressure and twist slightly then lock"

To expand on that I mean apply the plastic to your finger and smear it in good so all the excess comes off on the plastic. It should leave you with a good surface for heat transfer, then you just need a little bit more paste in between the two surfaces to ensure a good mate between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom