How to Break my Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slygnu05

Baseband Member
So i have been having trouble with my wireless internet lately like bad connections, loss of internet, and my signal strength going up and down fast. I believe it is a problem with my router. I've had the router for about 3 years now, its a belkin 802.11g and i hate it, i believe it is the source of all of my families internet problems because we are all on wireless except for my xbox that always has a good connection when we lose ours. So my dad for some reason doesnt want a new one because he thinks its not the router and something else, but i was wondering how can i break my router without smashing it with a hammer or something. Like is there a way to short it out or something because i really want a new one(linkys). Anyone have any ideas?:p

Install the wrong firmware, if the router lets you it would completely destroy it. No physical evidence for your father to examine.

If all else fails I would just mess up all the settings change the admin password. And act like... nothing happened.

i'd definitely say flash the wrong firmware, download some linksys firmware and try flashing it since you have a belkin router it definitely would crash it to the point of no return...and if you go for linksys and decide to get a WRT54G make sure u get version 4 or earlier, i have a version 5 and was considering modding it, but i can't easily because its version 5 with reduced ram, and if you get version 4 and mod it, you can actually potentially get better signal on wireless, it adds features like greater wireless power, wireless client(bridging) voip...other stuff, wish i had a V4.

Personally, I would just go out and buy a new one, replace the Belkin, and see if they notice.

EDIT: Slow day at work... I will finish what I was gonna put earlier.....

Your 802.11g router operates at 2.4 GHz... This is a VERY COMMON frequency. Make sure your router is placed in a spot away from other electronics. A few things that will adversly effect your network are:

2.4 GHz cordless phones
Microwave ovens
Baby monitors

My brother had an issue with his PC when he talked on our (2.4GHz) cordless phone... he would either get a REALLY BAD signal, or get disconnected completly. Problem solved with new 5.0 GHz phones... old one was dieing anyway.

are you sure its you router?
if you Xbox is gettin a good signal then maybe something else whats the actual problem with it jsut signal loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom