How to boot from usb on HP pavillion touchsmart 15?

mikee

Fully Optimized
I am trying to get my laptop to boot from a flash drive with windows 8.1 on it so I can reinstall windows from scratch rather than factory resetting back to windows 8.0 complete with hp bloatware and doing 8 hours of updates. Anyway I can't seem to get the computer to boot from usb. I have usb hard drive and usb cd rom drive set to be the first in boot priority but the computer just keeps ignoring the flash drive. and in the boot menu when I press f9 it says os boot menu and boot from efi file and nothing more. I'm stumped on these newer computers with uefi as to how to get them to boot from anything other then the os they come with.

The exact model of laptop is HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15-n067ca

you can change the computer boot order, which is the order of devices listed in BIOS where the computer looks for startup information. You can change the selection for an optical drive or a USB flash drive.
To change the boot order:
1. Insert the HP Recovery media you created.
2. Restart the computer, quickly press esc, and then press f9 for boot options.
3. Select the optical drive or USB flash drive you want to boot from.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03837811

as i2D stated, you'll need a bootable USB stick

Last edited:
I made the bootable usb using rufus and it works in other computers. The options are boot from efi file and os boot manager. OS boot manager just boots windows 8 and efi boot file just asks for a file. THere doesn't seem to be a boot from usb option like on other computers

@Joe
Also I am not using the HP recovery, I am using a windows 8.1 iso from microsoft I put on the flash drive, If I use the hp recovery it will reinstall all the bloatware and I will have to do 2 years worth of updates for it to become usable

Use that as a guide, except do not use the HP recovery, instead use your Windows 8 Installation on your USB drive.
Did you hit the ESC key before hitting the F9 key?
2. Restart the computer, quickly press esc, and then press f9 for boot options.

Last edited:
Use that as a guide, except do not use the HP recovery, instead use your Windows 8 Installation on your USB drive.
Did you hit the ESC key before hitting the F9 key?

Which brings me to this screen

photo hosting

Then how do I boot from flash drive. There is supposed to be an option for boot from usb at least on other computers I have had there was

it shows the boot order as follows

1. usb on diskette/usb hard disk
2. usb cd/dvd rom drive
3. internal cd/dvd rom drive
4. os boot manager
5 network adapter

There is an option to toggle cd rom boot and that's enabled but I don't see a toggle for usb boot

Are you using a USB hub with the flash drive?
If your not using a hub, then try another USB stick, sometimes some pc's just do not like certain USB sticks

Last edited:
Are you using a USB hub with the flash drive?
If your not using a hub, then try another USB stick, sometimes some pc's just do not like certain USB sticks

no I don't use a usb hub I plug in directly. I will try another stick and see what happens. This one works in all of my other computers though

Back
Top Bottom