How should I go about getting a new computer?

Half Evil

Golden Master
Well I have a Dell DIM 9100 from a couple years ago. Its a P4 3.0ghz, 1gb ram, 160gb hard drive and stock x300 that I upgraded to a 7600 GT.

It just isnt fast enough anymore. It gets quircks, hiccupps, stalls, etc. It really just makes me mad. It isn't bad by any means, just its not good enough for me.

I want do make a new build, but I dont know what I should do.

Maybe start by selling my computer and from there, getting parts for my birthday, (nov 10th) and X-mas? Or sell the computer and take some money out of the bank, that should be for gas.

Or I could ruin something on it, tell my parents it broke, and hope they buy me new stuff. I really dont want to do that to my parents Id feel so bad/guilty :(

FTR I would be keeping the 7600GT and I would SLi it.

Anyways, if you were in my position what would you do here?

yea dont lie/cheat your parents into buying a new computer, but if you have a job, then save up for a new pc.

Well i just got a new Mobo cpu and ram for my computer and replaced what i had already . Depending on the case cos i know dells arent always standard case frmats you may be able to just get a new motherboard cpu and ram and use your exisitng case powersupply and drives . However i would only sugest this if you are realy budget concious like me
If yu had the money get a whole new system

Also you may not need to build a new computer . Maybe adding another gb of ram would make the perfoamnce better , that and running cc cleaner and cleaning unwanted programs

yea dont lie/cheat your parents into buying a new computer, but if you have a job, then save up for a new pc.

I have a job, but its for gas money; strictly. For over the winter.

Well i just got a new Mobo cpu and ram for my computer and replaced what i had already . Depending on the case cos i know dells arent always standard case frmats you may be able to just get a new motherboard cpu and ram and use your exisitng case powersupply and drives . However i would only sugest this if you are realy budget concious like me
If yu had the money get a whole new system

Also you may not need to build a new computer . Maybe adding another gb of ram would make the perfoamnce better , that and running cc cleaner and cleaning unwanted programs

Well the thing is that I want to get out from under the dell name and just do the whole thing myself.

I have a job, but its for gas money; strictly. For over the winter.

Well the thing is that I want to get out from under the dell name and just do the whole thing myself.

Yeah but if you had a new mobo cpu and ram it would perform a lot better , then gradualy get stuff like a new case and power supply
Thats all i am doing next i am going to get another gig of ram and then a GPU

Well the thing is I wanted to go AMD, because for the little performance boost I need, it would be cheaper then Core2Duo.

So I would need a new mobo and new processor, and new power supply and case all in one shot.

I want to check out the newegg site but it wont work at my house, AT ALL!

I hvae no idea why, no browser will load more then two or three of their pages then I gotta X out and restart the browswer, its weirds, so I am kinda behind on everything.

about how much do you make a month and why do you need so much money for gas over the winter?

I was making 1200 a month, and then the drama got to be to much and I split. Now I am working for my girlfriends parents, $8 an hour under the table so no -tax. Its not steady, only a few days a week with random hours.

I spent $2000 on my stereo in my car and only have $500 in the bank at the moment, and with the amount I drive, I need every penny of that.

Well the thing is I wanted to go AMD, because for the little performance boost I need, it would be cheaper then Core2Duo.

So I would need a new mobo and new processor, and new power supply and case all in one shot.

I want to check out the newegg site but it wont work at my house, AT ALL!

I hvae no idea why, no browser will load more then two or three of their pages then I gotta X out and restart the browswer, its weirds, so I am kinda behind on everything.

Have you tried browsing through a proxy , anyway i will check some prices for you

Just as a side note , i just got an AMD athlon X2 4000+ a Gig of DDR 2 800 and a AM2 motherboard for £100 which would be about $200 but prices are cheaper in the US anyway , and it is a lot faster than my old Pentium 4.28ghz well worth the money IMO . And my performance in DVD transcoding more than doubled , before it took 2 hours to transcode a dvd from avi files now it takes like 45 minutes

Back
Top Bottom