how secure is an account password?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RewtGuy said:
Why would you encrypt an entire hard drive that you access data from CONSTANTLY, do you want to have to decrypt everytime you play battlefield 2? or everytime you open up a mp3 or a movie? Not to mention how would your computer boot an encrypted version of windows? without extra software this isn't possible.

unreasonable solution

Don't be so sure.

All you have to do is encrypt your sensitive data. Heres free & open source software you can use to encrypt whole hard drives (if you wish):

http://www.truecrypt.org/

For instance, you could store your sensitive data on a separate partition or hard drive and just encrypt that. There is no reason to encrypt windows itself.

RewtGuy said:
yeah, that's what my point was.

it's not the best idea to encrypt an entire harddrive just to protect a password.

No not to protect a password, to protect data. That was MY point.

sorry, i misunderstood. i thought you were ment just encrypting an entire drive.

what i was trying to say, it's not the best idea to encrypt something you use often, even if you can decrypt on the fly. not sure how encrypting the sam file would work in this situation, as you'd have to decrypt it before login or you could encrypt and see if it matches, and you can't run the software til you're logged in windows...

john123 said:
omg all it takes is a boot into safe mode and logging into the admin user thingy...

But YOU CAN put passwords on this account, infact try to use this method on any of my computers. Doesnt work on mine :)

I always have my strongest password on my admin account, then I work off my user account. That way nothing installs by itself, and the support with Vista will be very handy for me. (When Vista needs to do something with an administrator account, it will verify with the user whether or not to go into the admin account, NICE!) I strongly discourage leaving an admin password empty, even for a day while someone puts their own password on it. Make a temporary password, I always say!

jervin32189 said:
(When Vista needs to do something with an administrator account, it will verify with the user whether or not to go into the admin account, NICE!)

Sorta like UNIX has done for 30+ years?

Amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom