How reliable is ssd

emperor76

In Runtime
This is not something that is at the top of my list yet, just curiosity at the minute, if I got a ssd I would install windows on it, and any programs in the hope that the increased write and read would make the programs load faster, but I was thinking, if it failed suddenly you could lose windows, which could be a pretty expensive problem.

Not sure how much more reliable SSD's are compared to HDD's
however as for laptop storage, the SSD should be more reliable due to no spinning drive when moving the laptop around. shaking an HDD while spinning might damage the plate because the header are very close to the plates surface.

Not sure how much more reliable SSD's are compared to HDD's
however as for laptop storage, the SSD should be more reliable due to no spinning drive when moving the laptop around. shaking an HDD while spinning might damage the plate because the header are very close to the plates surface.

That's just possibly shed some light on why I've had to replace hard drives on people's laptops, one was quite clear, the hard drive cover was cracked so it had obviously took quite an impact, the others were less clear and actually put me off WD drives as I have 2 failed 2.5" WD drives in my cupboard, I wonder if this is the reason

I believe the spinning argument on laptops is a performance not reliability issue.

Reliability of SSD's, even though became much better lately, is actually much less than that of HDD's on the long run.

I suggest using SSD's of OS'es with supporting programs only. Data are best off on HDD's. AND also making a system image stored on an HDD to restore later if needed after fully installing the OS and basic supporting is highly recommended. The system image can be updated every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom