How much is my laptop worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnelson07

In Runtime
How much is my laptop worth? I'm wanting to sell it because I bought it so I'd be able to game while at college. But, while I was here, I was able to build the rig in my signature and it owns that laptop. So, now I want a laptop that has a better battery life than 2 1/2 hours since my classes accumulatively account for more than that.

Here are the specs:

Purchased: April 22, 2007
Dell E1705
17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB/2.00GHz/667MHz)
2GB, DDR2, 667MHz (2 Dimms)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS
120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
8X DVD+/-RW Drive
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g
80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (2.0+EDR)

Has 1 year warranty on it (obviously voiding here soon) and it originally cost me $2040.51. It's in great condition, although the word "Inspiron" on the backpanel is almost completely gone. No obvious scatches, very minimal ones if you hold it at the right angle underneath a good light source.

I'm thinking around half the original price? Something from $950-$1,100? I'm planning on using that money I get for it for the newer, smaller laptop.

It's a great gaming lappy though, handles Call of Duty 4 very well at 1440x900 all high settings. As previously stated the battery life is about 2.5hrs if just running Microsoft Word and internet/music/messenger. Turning the wireless off adds about a half hour to the battery life. I'll also include the Vista disc and driver's disc that came with the laptop and I'll reformat with a clean install of Vista Ultimate.

i'd say 900-1050.

Because it is used and has no more warrenty. Also kind of small HDD and the graphics card is little old.

The video card is old? So? That video card is still pretty sweet for a laptop video card.....

i'd say 900-1050.

Because it is used and has no more warrenty. Also kind of small HDD and the graphics card is little old.

I'm thinking maybe $1,300 is more proper now. $1,500 is a bit much, and anything below $1,200 seems too little.

So what about the warranty? It's been fine up until now, that's why I didn't pay for an extended one. I know how to take care of my laptop and I'm not accident prone so it's a waste of money on my end. I guess for those who are accident prone or careless it's feasible, but I'm also sure there is some way to extend the warranty if the person who buys this wants to through Dell.

I second that opinion, laptop cards are one or two generations behind desktop cards.

Wait, what? You mean.... oh my god....

This is the first time anyone has 100% agreed with me on these forums. I mean not just 95% and added there own bit... but 100%.... i... think im gonna be sick..... :freak:

Well I recently bought a new laptop off dell for 1,100. It is better than that with an 8600gt and 2 years warrenty. Also has 2.2ghz intel core duo. Also 160gb HDD.

The only thing better about that one is the screen is 17 instead of 15.

I bought the laptop when it was having a -300$ sale though.

Warrentys are just good to have though. It does not matter how good you are with computers. If a part fails, you get a replacement part for free. The accident warrentys are a waste of money though. I take good care of my things.

I still think you could only get 1000 max mainly due to no warrenty and it being used. That is a bad combination.

Well I recently bought a new laptop off dell for 1,100. It is better than that with an 8600gt and 2 years warrenty. Also has 2.2ghz intel core duo. Also 160gb HDD.

The only thing better about that one is the screen is 17 instead of 15.

I bought the laptop when it was having a -300$ sale though.

Warrentys are just good to have though. It does not matter how good you are with computers. If a part fails, you get a replacement part for free. The accident warrentys are a waste of money though. I take good care of my things.

I still think you could only get 1000 max mainly due to no warrenty and it being used. That is a bad combination.

Ok... um, let me just state the facts without cutting you down. 7900GS > 8600GT.
Yes your warranty is nice, but it's only +1 year over mine. You have a 200MHz faster processor and 40GB more HDD space... OMG WOW /bow!
Plus, I have the 17" widescreen allowing 1920x1200 native.

Here are some graphs to prove 7900GS > 8600GT
14461.png

14458.png

14459.png

and one last link:
VGA Charts 2007 | Tom's Hardware

Yes you have DX10 but... I mean... cmon, DX10 on an 8600GT which already preforms worse than the 7900GS at DX9 stuff?

So your laptop brand new, if you add the $300 you got off temporarily, is the equivalent of what I'm asking for mine (thinking about shaving off $100-200) and you lose 40GB HDD space, and 200MHz off the processor for a larger 17" widescreen with a higher resolution and a much better preforming video card. Trust me, those 200MHz aren't going to make up for what the 8600GT lacks from the 7900GS.

I rest my case.
$1,300 is sounding more like it.

*edit*
Oh yeah, Bluetooth too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom