How much does a good iOS game usually make?

How much can I expect to make/how many copies would I sell?

• 25 copies/$100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 250 copies/$1,000

• 25,000 copies/$100,000

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CNile

Beta member
Hello,

I have been teaching myself how to code, and I have been studying game design for a very long time. I don't know much about art, but I paint scenery, so I know a little bit about how to handle the aesthetic and technical aspects of a game. I plan on making an iOS game soon. It will have a very low budget, but I will be making it alone, so the only costs should be software and electricity. It will be an action-platformer that is far above the average quality of iOS games, and what I want to know is, how much money can I expect to make. Regardless of how many copies I can expect to sell, it's more of a passion project, so I'll do it no matter what.

Well, it really depends on the price point and the quality of the game. You feel good about it, so once you've developed it and gotten it approved, submit it to gaming sites to see if they'll review it or feature it. I know Best Buy's gaming magazine, @Gamer dedicates a page or two to reviewing mobile games and include the platform it's available for along with the price.

Also, be sure to read Apple and Google's contracts. I'm sure they get a cut of whatever is made.

Those prices in the polls reflect a profit of $5 an app. I honestly don't think it is that much and the more expensive it is ($2.99 + is considered quite a bit) the less people will be swayed to play/try it.

$0.99 apps tend to do better because no one thinks too much about spending a dollar. I had a lecture/workshop with someone from Microsoft which tried to convince and sell us on the idea of making apps for windows 8... their sales model directly reflects how many units are sold. The more, the higher the percentage I believe.

So, I would expect the need to sell at least 500-1,000 in order to start getting a small profit. Won't make anything back that is huge until you start going into the 10,000 I believe...

Maybe someone whom has actually made and submitted apps can step in and fill us in with more info :D

Those prices in the polls reflect a profit of $5 an app. I honestly don't think it is that much and the more expensive it is ($2.99 + is considered quite a bit) the less people will be swayed to play/try it.

$3.99 app, not $5. I guess looking at it $3.99 looks like a lot more than $2.99, or $0.99 for that matter, so maybe I'll bring the price down. It won't be a casual game, it's meant to appeal to 13-28 year old males (It will play a little like Shinobi III). I also plan on it having pretty high replayability (Multiple endings, difficulty settings, etc), so it's not going to just be a low-quality pick up and play arcade game.

I don't know, marketing is my weakest point, but I'd really rather appeal to a smaller audience that want's a deeper mobile experience. Most middle-class americans and Europeans have iPhones, and I think because the iOS market is sorely lacking in deeper titles for the hardcore audience, it's a good audience to play to.

Also, this will more or less act as a launch pad to gain the funds needed to produce PC titles (And maybe some on the ultra indie-friendly PS4), and a a small following. I may be wrong, but I think I see a good opportunity to start a business.

I mostly spoke of my own thoughts and opinions, but wish you much luck on your app and future games. ^_^

Back
Top Bottom