How many times can you install XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as Far as i Know Replying to the original question you can install it only on one comp {Microsoft registration scheem" thier might be away around it *hint hint*, or if u have the corporate eddision depending on what type of contract u have with msn most of them are for 100 computes wich eqaul 100 diff activations on diff computers and if u can get ur hands on one of those ur a lucky man, lol

****Thats with windows xp (Windows 98 as far as i know u can register with the same cd key as many times as u want from my expieriences

RE: How many XP installs are permitted

I spent some time hunting for that answer. My quest was specifically for XP Pro used on a corporate LAN but in the discussion Microsoft never made the distinction between XP Pro and Home. Here's where I ended up:

Microsoft (paid support) said I am allowed to have 1 standard installation (desktop) and 1 mobile installation (laptop) using the same license. According to Microsoft, the spirit of this exception is they understand people "work" at their desk and also take work home or on the road so they allow a 2nd installation only if one of them is specifically your own laptop (not your girlfriends) used specifically as a mobile extention of your primary desktop PC. Other PC's in my home for example don't qualify even though I may use one to remotely log into work. The bottom line is it's not a 2 for 1 deal. My assessment was they tried to accomodate the mobile working class without giving away the farm.

I came across this 3rd party FAQ as well. It fits what I heard from Microsoft but you'll have to evaluate the validity of the site information: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/EULAFAQ.htm

My info is from early 2002 so you might want to check around again to ensure nothing has changed or the MS support agent wasn't shining me on to get me off the phone, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.

Good luck
Jim McNabb

XP Installs - my error

In my previous post regarding XP installs I mainly looked into Office XP and XP Pro. When I spoke with Microsoft there was never a distinction made between Windows vs. Office. We just spoke of XP installations in general. They may in fact have a different set of confusing rules specifically for Windows.

Sorry for jumping the gun. Too much coffee.
Jim McNabb

First off , The mods here @ tech forums are geniuses! :)

Second , ive been able to install XP Pro so many times.With 6 PCs ( 4 PCs , 2 Laptops) , its been like 20+ times.How can microsoft allow a person with so many pcs to install only 1 for each device ( PC and laptop )? Its those MS rules that make a person go out and STEAL a copy of XP home or PRO ( pro is better ! ) . Hell , its things like "Activation in 30 days or we screw you" that make a person go out and STEAL ( yes its stealing folks ).We've all done it , and with rules getting more ridiculous ( I hear MS is planning to force activation or they repo your PC ) , we will continue to do so.I wonder if the rules let a person lend their copy of XP to several friends?
But anyways ,someone already said its 1 license per PC & Laptop.BTW , the ACTIVATION scheme sucks!

AreaOneZero said:
First off , The mods here @ tech forums are geniuses! :)

Second , ive been able to install XP Pro so many times.With 6 PCs ( 4 PCs , 2 Laptops) , its been like 20+ times.How can microsoft allow a person with so many pcs to install only 1 for each device ( PC and laptop )? Its those MS rules that make a person go out and STEAL a copy of XP home or PRO ( pro is better ! ) . Hell , its things like "Activation in 30 days or we screw you" that make a person go out and STEAL ( yes its stealing folks ).We've all done it , and with rules getting more ridiculous ( I hear MS is planning to force activation or they repo your PC ) , we will continue to do so.I wonder if the rules let a person lend their copy of XP to several friends?
But anyways ,someone already said its 1 license per PC & Laptop.BTW , the ACTIVATION scheme sucks!

So it worked for you? So I can install xp home from my disc that I already payed for on the new comp I am building? And do you HAVE to register?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom